1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for all widescreen tv owners

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Kefka, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Kefka

Kefka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can people who play their consoles on a widescreen tv tell me what it is like? Does the picture get reduced or stretched at all? You see i'm gonna be getting a tv for my room to play my xbox and ps2, but i also wanna watch dvd's so i'm trying to decide whether to go for a widescreen or not.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thnx.

2. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO if you're buying a TV its got to be widescreen or nothing.

My Sony widescreen TV works fine for all games. For most games I just make sure my TV is set to 4:3 which gives you left and right borders and that doesn't stretch the screen to give a incorrect ratio.

For games that use widescreen such as GTA3, Vice City, GT3, Soul Calibur 2, The Getaway, Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, I use widescreen 16:9 mode of course, which looks fantastic for games that support it.

Since 95% of DVD movies are widescreen you must get one for sure! :)

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I didn't realise you can still get 4:3 tv's! Don't see the point in getting one myself. After you've stared at a widescreen for a few days 4:3 looks really ungainly....Your natural line of vision is along the horizon...like a widescreen. 4:3's look like post boxes.

Xbox has a setting in the control panel for widescreen. So all games you load up will fill the screen. I haven't actually run any of the games in 4:3 to compare but I'd say the games have been written for widescreen. None I've seen look stretched in any way.

My mate has a PS2 and all the games I've played have filled the screen without looking stretched. If the PS2 doesn't have a widescreen mode your telly will have different modes to so you can adjust the picture to fill most of the screen. Go into a shop and give one a try.

I'd recommend getting a digital box (freeview?) so all broadcasts are widescreen. Not essential.

4. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd agree with the digibox recommendation. Mind you, there's still a number of channels that are in permanent 4x3 via didgiboxes, and many have mixed programming.

On the game front, it depends. Where a game has a 16x9 setting, you're laughing. Where it doesn't, some 4x3 only games can stand being stretched, especially those that mainly involve completely invented creatures/robots/ships.

If a sports sim game only has a 4x3 mode though, I'd say it is very wise not to stretch it, as (as well as having unrealisticaly proportioned players), angles for ball passing etc. will be wrong.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bad, bad man... I run all my gamecube games in Wide, sue me! Mario looks even shorter and fatter though.

6. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most good 4:3 TV's have widescreen mode, the picture will be smaller though, but for a bedroom I dont see the problem. Ive had mates with widescreen TV's for years and they never realized none of their broadcasts were in widescreen and the pictures looked bloody awful and widescreen DVD's still have a border anyway.
    The natural line of vision is in the centre of the screen so TV's can get as wide as you like you'll only be concentrating on the middle.
    The most important thing is to get whatever suits your budget, size of the room, and viewing distance.

7. Kefka

Kefka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies people. I've decided to go widescreen. Before i was worried that some games won't look as good as on 4:3 but it seems like that most games should run ok. A lot of new games are being released with dedicated 16:9 modes anyway and i'd really like to play doax in 16:9. :D

All i have to worry about now is which tv model to go for!