A Question about TIVO.... before I buy!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Confucius, Dec 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    OK, here's the situation.

In a few weeks time I'm going to the middle east for 5 (possibly more) weeks. During my time away I should like to record a number of progs shown on television.

Among these progs would be Enterprise.

If I were to use TIVO's fuzzy logic I could well end up with multiple recordings of endless TOS, Next Generation, Voyager or even worse DS9 episodes; over the course of 5 weeks this will easily fill up the hard drive of TIVO (certainly at the quality level I require).

Therefore, will I be able to program TIVO to specifically record a show on $ky One, Mondays, (whatever time it's on!) on a weekly repeat basis, without any extraneous nonsense? Not only this, but I would wish to set the timer to start recording a few minutes before each show starts, and end it several minutes after they end.

These criteria would of course apply to other TV progs from several different TV chans.

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, there's a Manually Record Time/Channel facility. There are 6 fields.
    Recording Type- Record Once/Repeating
    Record On-Date (if Record Once)/EveryM-F,Every Day,Every Sun etc.(If Repeating)
    Channel
    Start Time-in 5 min intervals.
    Stop Time
    Quality

Martin.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As MartinB states, what you require will not be a problem.

Although TiVo is designed with the intention that you record from the Electronic Programme Guide, there is a manual recording facility identical to that which you would expect from a traditional VCR. Even when using the manual system the TiVo will stamp each programme with the EPG information so that you can see the date/time and description for each manual recording. Which is nice. ;)

Of course, if you are worried about running out of space you can always upgrade your TiVo to a capacity of about 240 hours (Basic recording) / 70 hours (Best). :) The upgrade guide is here and is straight forward if you are competent with basic PC hardware (ie. you understand about Master/Slave IDE hard drive settings).

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thank you both for your help and advice, I am now (finally!) convinced that TIVO is 'for me'.

I just need to wait for one of my VCRs to break to get 'er indoors to authorise purchase. Chucking it out of the window should work, though it's a shame we don't have kids yet as I would be more than happy to stick some jam covered toast in the slot - maybe next time I get in from the pub!!!

5. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confused...

You could set up a season pass for Enterprise. Tivo will probably come up with the DS9/Voyager/TNG suggestions but:

1) You can suppress Tivo recording suggestions.
    2) Suggestions are only recorded if you have the space - they will hang around until the space they takeup is required. They will NOT stop the machine recording something that you have requested.

The problem I would see is the padding as you would have to do that manually and therefore doing the whole thing manually can sort that out, as previously mention.

The Tivo isn't a dictator it tries to help but backs off graciously enough.