1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question about Sharpness levels

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rookies, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Ok Folks,

I have a 50 hz widescreen tv 32" and a 100 digital Plus 32" widescreen tv.

The sharpness control between them are very strange.

ie in the 50hz tv if i put the sharpness full wack it really does not make the picture unwatchable cant notice grains and pixels from sky programs etc.

But on the 100 digital plus tv if i stick that on full wack on sharpness the picture is awful too many grains and pixels. but if i have it set at right level it great.

Is this normal? is it cos 100 hz tv are more advance at picture showing. As i know on a graphic program for images if you put alot of sharpness into it, it spoils the picture so i take the new 100 hz doing the same type of work.

The above was on a DVD aswell as Sky

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's normal. All TV controls vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from model to model.

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mags I've read say to turn the sharpness control right off with most modern widescreens has its not needed and can actually degrade the picture quality. I've done this with my Panasonic PG50 and find it great.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't do that on all TVs as doing so results in a seriously soft picture that loses a lot of detail. It depends on the way the control has been set up. Sharpness has to be carefully balanced. On some sets, sharpness is fixed for RGB inputs anyway, so adjusting it would make no difference. I adjusted the sharpness on my Sony set using the appropriate calibration screen on Ultimate DVD Platinum but Gordon and Nic also recommended just adjusting as high as you can without ringing.

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Thanks for the replies guys, I though this be the case.

So I just got to set the sharpness that suite my eyes.