A question about scalers in HiDef sets...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by MoFoHo, Mar 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi all you clever people! Can I ask what might seem like a really silly question? It concerns HiDef LCD and Plasma TVs. I've recently purchased a HiDef LCD, its a 23" Samsung LE23R41B. I got it to go with my Xbox360, and I'm really pleased with it. In fact, I like these HiDef screens so much I'd like to buy another one sometime soon!
    So my question is this. What do these screens do when fed with a bog standard def picture through, say, an RGB scart or an Svideo socket? Do they actually 'scale the picture and try and add in extra detail, taking an educated guess so to speak? The reason I'm asking is like I said earlier I would seriously consider a larger model for my living room. However I'm not really that interested in SkyHD at the mo, (never been a Sky fan I'm afraid!). But I DO have a fairly good DVD player/recorder (Sony RDRHX910, which has a 'scaled output through the HDMI socket). Which scaler would be better, and would I be able to see the difference between a standard def DVD picture, and one that had been scaled (either using the DVD player/recorders or the LCD's scaler) I would also very much like a future proof set anyway, what with HDDVD and BluRay supposedly just around the corner. Any advice would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance,
    Steve.

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Yes, HiDef TVs have scalers but they can't add more detail, just make the best of what's there. Your upscaling DVD player can improve the quality of pre-recorded DVDs by using progressive scan and an all-digital path to the TV using HDMI - the result is not HiDef but as close as SD allows (well, an HTPC does better in my experience but you may not have one of them). The scaler in your posh DVD player will probably be better than the one in a TV.

Make sure any set you buy has HDCP enabled inputs - be they HDMI or DVI.