1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question about projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wallzy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im thinking about buying a sanyo Z3 Pj but i have a quick question
    our electric is on a card meter if the projector is powered on and the electric goes will it damage the projector or the bulb in any way

thanks wallzy

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Some people buy UPS's (Uninterruptable Power Supplies) worrying about the occasional power cut, the thought of meters running out on a regular basis would give such people nightmares!

I would advise against regular power outages, it will reduce the life of the bulb...PJ :)

3. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ive just been looking at these UPS's as the projector would only be on why i am in the room if the meter run out i could just power down the projector while it is using the battery power do u know if these units are rechargeable or do u have to replace the batter each time

thanks walzy

4. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The recharge themselves if plugged in. Power goes out they continue giving out their power... power comes back on they recharge themselves from the mains.

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    May sound daft but...

I wonder if one of those spider catcher thingies may be of assistance in the event of a power cut (you know, the ones that suck up the spider into a tube that resembles either a toy for the ladies or a light sabre). You could put it to the fan exit vent of the PJ and suck air through the PJ to cool the lamp? Cheaper than UPS.

I'll get my coat...

6. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    although it sounds like a good idea i think i would rather spend the money to get a UPS and make sure my PJ still works after a power out

thanks for your help

Wallzy

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if you had your pj on for a few hours, then suddenly the electric cut, the bulb would overheat and potentially crack, which to replace would cost u a lot more than a reasonably UPS would......the UPS would give u around 20-30 mins of time to cool down the projector safely....

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think it would need to be a fairly heavy duty one (ie expensive) to give you that sort of leeway...

Most of the ones people seem to buy give you 5 mins or less, though that's all you need for an average power-down cycle...PJ :)

9. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once the lamp is off the cooling system itself will require very little power, so you may only get 5 mins to start a safe shutdown but aslong as you get the lamp itself off before the UPS gives up it'll have plenty of umph to do a full cooldown.

Although it my be better to get a UPS that gives you long enough to put a new card in the meter rather than shut off the UPS.

Cheapest way will be to just check the meter before using the PJ and topping it up if it's low (and perhaps a reminder label on the PJ / plug / screen).

10. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for all your replys i think a UPS is a must then could any one recomend were to get them at a resenable price

thanks again
    wallzy

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well, most UPS designed for computers give i think 10-15 minutes to finish anything you are doing, then save it etc.....i doubt the fan on the projector draws as much power as a computer with monitor.......

i dunno, shop around tho mate, check somewhere like Staples Office shop or Amazon online, hunt around....if it says it can power a computer and monitor for 10 mins, it will happily give your PJ time to cool down and save risking blowing the bulb...heh
    i would imagine you could get a good enough one for mebbe £40......its worth it given a new bulb costing £200-400 (depending on PJ)

12. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Maybe you are right, I just remember talk of sub 5 mins, actually I think it was the thread Neil has posted above....

As I say, it's fairly academic, if I was using one I wouldn't sit there waiting for the power to come back (the DVD would have stopped anyway. ;) )

...PJ :)

14. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Wallzy,

I used to rent a flat with a card meter (incidentally, you are legally entitled to a normal meter if you want one, even in a rented place - unless it's the power supplier that's enforced the card meter) and I found it really hard to get used to it, not having had one before.

Checking the meter to see if it has enough left for a film night would be enough of a fag, not to mention finding a shop open to charge up your card (if like me you get in from the pub an fancy watching something).

A 500VA UPS would be a lot more convenient and will give you peace of mind about knackering your pj bulb - needn't cost the earth either (£50 ish).

15. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    just done a quick search on maplin.co.uk and foundthis would this be suitable

thanks wallzy

16. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Can only go on the 400VA rating, which would probably (depending on the pj power consumption) give you enough time to shut it down safely if the power went.

There was a thread on the forums somewhere that contained a calculation for working out how 'big' a UPS you need; do a quick search on UPS and it should show up.

17. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you stick another 50p in the meter to restore the mains?!!

Or you could pay your elec by direct debit couldn't you?

18. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    A 400VA UPS will only be rated at about 240 watts, and your projector may draw over 200 watts, so you're cutting it a bit fine. Bear in mind it will cut the power if you exceed the the stated limit.

I'd suggest a minimum of 500VA, which will give you around 300W. There's no point in having a UPS if you can't be confident it will work when you need it.

19. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've got that 30 quid one from maplin and it works fine with my ae700, it gives me plenty of time to power it down. The ae700 use's 180w when on so check the spec of your pj in the back of its manual. As said it can handle up to 240w.