A question about my Wireless Hardware setup.

hot-fuzz

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have signed up for the Orange 8Mb Unlimited package as i have been an extremely happy Orange customer for a over a year now.

OK, so i got the Livebox and installed it and recently and the stats i am showing are as follows :

Livebox Settings Control Panel show :
Downstream : 8128Kbps
Upstream : 448Kbps

ThinkBroadband SpeedTest :
Downstream : 4413.41Kbps
Upstream : 371.73Kbps

My wirless card in my PC is the Netgear WG311 and it uses 802.11g.

Now there is a difference in the stats above. So my questions are as follows :

Can my download and Upload be better?
If so, is it my wirless card that is "capping" my internet speed?
Can i get near 8128Kbps realistically, or is the Livebox just showing that?

Ta for any help.

P.S im 30 today !!!!!

:clap:

Well, if it's on ADSL then it's going to be contention I would have thought. The more people that are on, in your vicinity, the less bandwidth you get. Are these readings from different times of day/days of the week? If so, then that's probably it.

Sorry,

My point is that my Livebox is showing that it is connected at 8.1Mbps but the PC is only getting nearly 4Mbps when connected to t'internet.

I was wondering if i can actually achieve 8Mbps with a decent wirless card in my PC.

Right, I see, the question then is is Livebox showing the actual speed you're getting, therefore the wireless card is actually capping it?

Personally, I would doubt you're actually getting the full 8MB on the Livebox as I've not come across anyone who has actually attained full speed. My guess would be, that the PC is showing you're actual speed and Livebox is reporting the Max you can get. I may be talking crap though, in which case someone will hopefully correct me, but I'm no expert on these matters.

Right, I see, the question then is is Livebox showing the actual speed you're getting, therefore the wireless card is actually capping it?

Personally, I would doubt you're actually getting the full 8MB on the Livebox as I've not come across anyone who has actually attained full speed. My guess would be, that the PC is showing you're actual speed and Livebox is reporting the Max you can get. I may be talking crap though, in which case someone will hopefully correct me, but I'm no expert on these matters.

Thats what i was thinking, but my livebox USED to show only 2.1Mbps, but now it has jumped up to 8Mbps.

I spose i could connect the PC directly to the Livebox via ethernet and test. Just wondered if you or anyone in the know coudl say that i should be getting 8Mbps and upgrade my Netgear to a faster one.

Ta

the speed that your livebox shows is the speed that your synced at. in reality you could get anything from 0 to the speed shown. It is possible to pull 8mb or even more, but thats only when the network load is really low. like 4am in the morning.

I've just recently moved house, and i'm now syncing at 8,096 Kbps / 448 Kbps. I used to sync a little higher at the old house, but I was much closer to my exchange than here. But I still pull about the same speeds, faster sometimes even. it all depends on closeness to the exchange, line quality, network load.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom