• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A question about compatibility

Without checking the specs of either I suspect it will end in tears.

Surround sound speaker systems are seldom suitable and any Receiver/amp worth its salt needs a powered subwoofer which is unusual for SS systems.

theatre-aholic

Standard Member
but i'm not sure what sort of specification to check. thats why i came here.

EDIT : what if i get a speaker set from richer sounds? would that work? like that £70-80 yamaha nsp-something or other?

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The speakers ar likely to be low resistance which could cause damage to your amp and the sub is a passive one so will not be able to be used with the amp anyway. Steer well clear of them. Budget sets can be bought for £150 new so keep looking at should get one second hand for well under that. Look in the classifieds here as you will often find budget 5.1 being sold as people upgrade.

theatre-aholic

Standard Member
i just added a bit to the above post. could you please answer that? thanks

Btw, am i getting a good deal on the amplifier? is it a good one? seems ok to me. thanks

and i am looking or something around the region of £50 for speakers

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
i just added a bit to the above post. could you please answer that? thanks

Btw, am i getting a good deal on the amplifier? is it a good one? seems ok to me. thanks

and i am looking or something around the region of £50 for speakers

It looks to be a good one --- you obviously don't get HDMI connections, but standard Dolby Digital and DTS is available through optical and coaxial connections and all the analogue video connections are there (except scart, which you don't get on AV amps)

DISCONTINUED YAMAHA DSPAX620 HOME CINEMA AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/696 for details

I would look on the classified speaker forum and keep a look out for second hand 5.1 sets. Yamaha do some for about £80 new, which would work, but you'd be better off paying that price for second hand ones of better quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom