1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about 1:1 pixel mapping

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by imilne, Jun 23, 2005.

1. imilne

imilne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have a Panasonic PW6, and currently output at 800x600 (VGA) from a HTPC connected to it.

I've experimented several times with attempting to get 1:1 pixel mapping, but have never really managed it. Outputting 848x480 is as close to the screen's 856x480 native resolution as my Radeon card will do, so straight away I've lost the 1:1.

However, *even* if I could get native res, I'd probably find that the picture was either over or underscanned and would need further adjusting using the plasma's options - surely this too would instantly lose the 1:1 mapping. At some resolutions/refresh rates, it's way off centre as well, and has to be dragged back, although this probably doesn't affect the picture as much as having to resize it vertically or horizontally.

(And I've the further complication that the TV output from my Nebula DigiTV card is usually less than the screen size of the application itself (mainly due to the TV channels in question), so I actually have the screen stretched all the time to compensate for this too (and lose part of the Windows desktop in the process)).

So has anyone ever managed true 1:1 pixel mapping with a plasma?

Iain

(800x600 actually gives the "nicest" picture for my needs, even though it's not a widescreen res - both DigiTV and Meedio support anamorphic displays, so I still get a widescreen images)

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hi,

You need to use powerstrip if you want to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping but i my opinion i don't see the point due to the fact that most ppl are trying to get the best from video playback, which is of a different pixel count anyway!

So what ever res you choose there will be some scaling of the image
    ie, Dvd native is 720x480, if your PC res is set to 856x480 (screen native)then the Dvd res will be upscaled to the screen res.

Your best bet is to look at this Basic Radeon guide (link Below) and use the best res that gives you the best PQ, usually 1024x768 or 1280x 1024!

http://www.dtvmax.com/radeon_guide.htm

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Use the picture position and size controls on the plasma to fit the picture into the screen properley. With scalers at least you don't lose 1:1, you're gaining it by getting the plasma to display it onto it's pixels properley. 848x480 may very well 1:1 if you shrink the width and lose 2 pixels either side, but you should be able to build a correct custom resolution in Powerstrip.