1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A query on DLP rear projection TV's and xbox.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by eurytus, Jul 4, 2005.

1. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I have been reading this forum for some time now and it looks a really good place to obtain information. But I have a specific question that I would like the answer to and I have not seen any threads that directly address it.

The situation is that I use a TV exclusively for watching DVDs and playing Xbox games. I would like to get a large TV that can do both of those things.

I have considered LCD TVs and am close to ruling them out due to their issues with fast movement, slightly smallish screen sizes and black levels. Issues of backlight showing through the screen also do not comfort me.

Plasma's are great but they are a little pricey and of course you have the issue of plasma burn which I understand can be minimised though not ruled out.

All of which makes me tend towards DLP rear projection TVs as an alternative. I have seen the Sagem 45 in action and it looks a great TV and the price point is good. I am sure it would do a great job on DVDs but it is the Xbox that is the problem. I have read the odd post that indicates that Xbox's modded to run in hi-def look great on these TVs but in normal resolution less so. Now I do not expect an Xbox running in normal definition to approach a DVD running in progressive scan for clarity but I would like it to run in something approaching normal CRT quality.

So my question is, for people with DLP rear projection TVs, if you have a normal Xbox, how good is the picture compared to a normal CRT TV?

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    The picture is fine on a large screen I have a 65' DLP and have no problems. These DLP sets scale the picture upto 1280x720 progresive. The HD kit outputs a true 1280x720 which adds extra detail you can not get from a normal xbox.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forums :)

3. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Razor, much appreciated.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Any time :thumbsup:

5. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Eurytus why not softmod your xbox and get the full benefits. Very simple to do

6. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I have just started to see references to soft modding. Done a bit of reading and I have a action replay, Splinter Cell should be easy enough to buy so I would just need the high def kit. That would probably be the trickiest thing to get hold of.

Will definitely look into it though.
    Ta for the suggestion.

7. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the Lik Sang reference. Looks like a very handy place. Almost wonder if its worth simply getting a NTSC xbox from there and using that to get Hi Def.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I wouldn't as the new xbox 360 will be with us soon. :D

10. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that's months away!!

Can't possibly wait that long. Besides, until Elder Scrolls V arrives I can't retire my old workhorse.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL... nice to see your dedication to the xbox. I gave up on mine just after I got bored of rainbow 6 online. I cant wait for the next gen of consoles. :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    XBOX games are absolutely awesome on the SAMMY SP50 and is getting me over my rainbow issue because I'm so involved with the game I don't notice them (which in turn is reducing over time my sensitivity during normal viewing)!

Any ho, I digress, whilst playing XBOX on a huge screen (Forza in cockpit mode is like looking through a real car window) online shooters can be hard to get used to as you have to move a massive distance to to aim...in which time some cocky seven year old yank with cat like reflexes blows you head off! :D

(Or I could just be crap)! :)

13. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

14. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    oh and its cheaper to use lik-sang.com and not their euro site as the hong-Kong based one has more stuff and is alot cheaper!

15. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That almost doesn't bear thinking about. There would be rounded objects the size of the Star Destroyer from A New Hope moving around the screen.

And I wouldn't want to have to put that down as the reason for my cricked neck.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

17. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    Hi mate, as you own a moded Xbox hopefully you can answer this question, i have had my xbox moded and was woundering if when playing dvd's it upscales to 720p ? I have the Hi Deff kit for it ! so does this mean that if the answer is yes then there is no point in me waiting to get the new samsung HD-DVD950 player ? will they be doing the same thing mate ? :confused:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya: sikenny

Sorry mate but my xbox isn't modded.

I would of thought the samsung set would scale the picture as a matter of course. Therefore I can't see the benifit of these players unless they do a better job than the display. Think about it like this

DVD -----> Display upscales ------> Upscaled picture shown.

DVD -----> DVD player upscales ------> No need for display to upscale -----> Upscaled picture shown

The question you should be looking for is what gives the best scalling the dvd player, xbox or display.

I hope this helps

:D

19. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the official Microsoft HD cable and in the instructions with it it claims that the DVD out put is in 480p.

I also think that without using an Xbox with HD enabled video, the picture is quite poor, I now have an Xbox with HD enabled and the difference is phenomenal. Even though most games only run at 480p the picture is much better. In Forza the other cars were indistinct blobs but with 480p everything is sharper and smoother. I've been going back through all my Xbox titles just to enjoy the visuals on some of them again. (BTW THUG 2 runs in 720p).

I tested my Samsung SP46L3HX with a standard UK Xbox (no HD output) and the official HD cable kit and th epicture was no better than with RGB scart, if anything it was a bit worse.

Get an NTSC Xbox or softmod your UK one, you won't regret it.

20. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    Thanxs for that, my Xbox has been modded and i picked up an origional Hi-Deff kit for it when in the states a couple of months ago. I still dont know if i have my MS dash set up correctly on the Xbox !! As i am hoping that DVD playback on it will be greatly improved over my DVD player ? any help would be great :suicide:

21. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Xbox with and HDcable on dlp is heaven IMO, its absolutely awsome, GR2 never looked so good. Have to say dead or alive volleyball looks superb on this set. :D

22. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

1. you need a NTSC xbox or a modded UK Box (this has been made clear of course!)

2. Get yourself this cable http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...-to-5-rca-component-video-stereo/display.html
    This cable is home cinema quality , im certain its the best for xbox.

3. Install Xbox Media Center on your xbox,
    This has the option to upscale all videos played through it to 720p

if you need any toher questions answered regarding the xbox , feel free to ask :)

I have my xbox hardware modded , hooked up to my Sammy DLP via Ixos HD Component cable and hooked up to my pc and broadband via Netgear wireless Game adapter :smashin:
    The facility to stream my downloaded divx films and watch in great quality on my 46 sammy is fantastic
    oh and you need NTSC games to play them in 480p or 720p depending on what the game supports

23. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    Thanks for the info mate, my Xbox is modded ! it has"EVO-X".I have got the origional microsoft Hi-Deff kit.There is just shed loads of stuff it now,it has Media Centre. I am just not sure if i have the right bits set on it ? I want to play my normal R1 & R2 DVD's on it.But want it to be top notch,almost like having a sammy HD player !! can i get this ?

24. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup is slightly different. I have a UK Xbox with the standard Microsoft dashboard switched to NTSC instead of PAL but no new dashboard. ( I want to play on Live!) All I have to do is go into settings, choose Video settings and there you can set your screen aspect ratio and whether your tv accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i.
    You also don't need NTSC games to run the Xbox in Hi-Def (technically enhanced-def for 480p) as I am using standard PAL games and have no problem running in HD. If you have Evo-X there is a facility to switch the video output mode, in Game Apps I think. Switching the Video output won't let you play R1 DVD's but there is probably something in the Evo-X dashboard that will let you do that.
    Hope this helps.

25. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    Gone through my Xbox but cant seem to find the facility to change video output ! Cant even find game apps !! I have gone in on standard dashboard and gone through the settings for 480p/720p/1080i,found that one ok.My Xbox was a standard uk spec machine b 4 it was modded.

26. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So does 720p or 1080i work? If so XBMC should also start up in HiDef mode. Then in film settings you can enable scale video to gui resolution. After that all video played in XBMC should be upconverted to the res. you're using.

Wich skin are you using for XBMC? Some skins don't support HD.

27. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    The skin i am using is called Gates ! (cartoon pic of Bill Gates with a big gun !) Do you know if this skin supports HD ? Or what skins do support HD ? I still canot seem to find film settings ! :suicide: And what isgui resolution ? :lease:

28. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    GUI: graphical user interface.

Don't know the Gates skin. I use Project Mayhem III skin myself. It supports HD.
    Here
    you can see what the skin looks like. It's in dutch but the pics are good.

Online XBMC manual
    there you can find how to set things up.

Here
    you can find other skins.

29. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do light guns work on DLPs?

30. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't think the 'normal' ones do but here's
    someone who uses a different kind of gun. To bad there are only 2 or 3 lightgun games for the XBox.