A query about Dolby Atmos placement

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a 5.1 system and am looking to get a couple of height speakers to make it Atmos.

My question is: do they have to go at the front of the system, or could they be at the sides or rears?

With thanks,

James

I'm not sure about all AVRs but certainly with many Denons you can assign heights/tops or up-firers as surrounds instead of being at the front. I tried this with up-firers and reported back to AVF here with my opinions:

If you are talking about on wall height speakers then front or side are best in a 5.1.2. Rears could put the emphasis behind the main listening position especially when the audio is going over head from front to rear. Personally I'd put them on the front wall inline with the front left and right.

What AV amp are we talking about?

If you are talking about on wall height speakers then front or side are best in a 5.1.2. Rears could put the emphasis behind the main listening position especially when the audio is going over head from front to rear. Personally I'd put them on the front wall inline with the front left and right.

What AV amp are we talking about?
Thank you. It's the Anthem MRX 720.

Thank you. It's the Anthem MRX 720.
Don't know much about Anthem to help with speaker assignment but would imagine front height would be exactly that.

Hi all,

I currently have a 5.1 system and am looking to get a couple of height speakers to make it Atmos.

My question is: do they have to go at the front of the system, or could they be at the sides or rears?

With thanks,

James

They can go to side walls. Buy cheap 2ch poweramp and two pairs of example SVS Prime Elevation or something similar so you get the .4 .

231540_8079259782_a76de3d9_3281_4b8e_9878_54f02fa70312.jpg

231540_8079259782_0db05c26_21ad_4bb2_a457_c9df7f3949e3.jpg

img_5780-jpg.1029135

That's an interesting set up, I thought upfiring speakers had to be on top of your normal left and right front speakers? But it looks like you've taken upfiring speakers and have them pointing directly to the listening point instead of bouncing off the ceiling? Is that right? Can this be done with any upfiring Atmos speaker?

That's an interesting set up, I thought upfiring speakers had to be on top of your normal left and right front speakers? But it looks like you've taken upfiring speakers and have them pointing directly to the listening point instead of bouncing off the ceiling? Is that right? Can this be done with any upfiring Atmos speaker?
The majority of the upfiring speakers with the built in angle will also have keyhole fittings on the back so that they can be positioned on a side wall. The beauty of this design is that they will give two options on positioning so that you can listen as to what one is more effective in your room.

You are correct in your premise about the upfiring position being best on top of the front left and right speaker, that's how mine are used. You can also place them as near as possible to those speakers providing they have a clear line of sight to the reflection point on the ceiling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom