1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Pseudo-TheaterTek setup on a dime

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by beyond, Dec 3, 2003.

1. beyond

beyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We actually pulled this down off the internet and redid it. There is a new link to a new guide on the site.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Zoom is a great piece of software. It has more functionality than TT by all accounts, but can have a few problems (like all software).

I stopped using it a while back due to a few issues with it, plus the fact that my new projector has a lot of the YXY type functions built in.

I now use PowerDVD 5 which gives me a noise free image with solid colours and a good level of detail. I gave up on WinDVD because of the high levels of background noise and artefacts it seemed to introduce. It did seem to be better than earlier versions of PDVD though.

BTW - if you set up PDVD (or any sw player if it has the option)to 'force weave' for films, you won't get the combing artefact. Not all films are flagged correctly, and some software players rely totaly on the flags and no other form of detection to decide how to deinterlace the frames. If you see combing, force weave. If it's still there, force bob. It seems to work on all the movies I've tried so far. The only time I leave it on auto is for extras, where you often get a mix of both film and video.

Gary.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have to say my experience comparing TT 1.5 and PDVD XP 5 with an AE300 on a 92" screen is that TT gave a far sharper image than PDVD .. this was on X-Men 1.5, whether the source has anything to do with it I don't know.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Was it a grainy or noisy image at all? When I saw TT it looked pretty good, but I didn't see it long enough to be able to get an overall impression.

Gary.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I didn't spend too much time analysing .. I was investigating a problem with playback which meant every few chapters the player, in turned out either TT or PDVD, switch to non-anamorphic mode with degraded PQ.

The scene that particularly stood out, if you know X-Men 1, is when Wolverine is shown the underground hangar. There's a shot behind one of the craft's wings looking towards the characters entering from the far wall.

TT rendered the wing's edge sharply and with good detail on the reflections of lights in the area, the metal seemed smooth. PDVD OTOH made the metal look, to use your term 'grainy', and the whole effect was bordering on blurry.

Several other scenes showed similar sharp vs. grainy/soft differences.

I haven't felt the need to repeat the A/B comparison so can't really go into any more detail than I can remember from this exercise 4 weeks ago, sorry.