1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A "proper" digital connection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Pat Marcus, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Help, please. I want to buy a plasma and was going to go for a pio 434 until my dealer told me that although the HDMI socket is incorporated, the panel actually converts the signal back to analogue, rather than it being a true "straight-through" digital signal. I am using an expensive DVD player with HDMI (Meridian G98) and want the best possible picture. Does the Pio MXE range also do this ? Will a Panasonic P7 with HDMI card (is there one?) do this. What should I do ?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I think there is some confusion around the whole Digital/analogue signal area........ SDi is the only True True Digital signal DVi-D is digital as is HDMI.. but remember the world we live in is analogue and so are your eyes............

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
    Horny: What are you on mate? SDI is the only true digital.....but DVI and HDMI are digital....er....ok.

Pat: There was some discussion on an american website about this. In particular a chap called Stacy Spears who works for Microsoft posted saying that the original digital inputs on the first gen of Pioneers that had digital inputs (USA versions) seemed to take the digital signal and then process it in analogue. This was with DVI input I think though.

I do not believe this would be the case with 434HDE or current models. For a start its likely to cost more to do it that way! When comparing the analogue input to the hdmi input on that plasma I'm sure you'd find the HDMI superior.

I have seen digital inputs in to the HDE's, XDE and MX's and it looks great. I've also seen DVI in to the Panasonics and they are great too.

Get your dealer to show you the HDMI v Component from your DVD player then make your mind up.

Gordon

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks very much, Gordon. My dealer actually put me off buying the 434 as he was quite categorical that it still did the D/A conversion. I have seen the HDMI vs component comparison and HDMI clearly wins. I just dont want to buy a panel that is not giving me the absolute best out of my HDMI connection. Ive also seen the Pio doing HDPC and that was great, too but Im still not reassured about the D/A thing.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
  6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My Dealer is Music Matters in Solihull. They thought that the MXE range might be but at the time of asking they hadnt received their demo unit. They didn`t know whether the Panansonic would be as it had yet to be released. Does the panasonic p7 even come with an hdmi socket (or optional board) ?

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pat,
    You'll recognise Stacey from the Hiker's site. Once upon a time, I had a ALIS plasma panel and my dealer would not accept that it was an interlaced panel. Feeding my newly aquired 598DP into it looked terrible. Dealers, especially on Saturday mornings, don't know a**e from elbow.
    I think that the 434 debate concluded that it was digital all the way. You also have the option for an Aurora card with the Pio panel. The makers of this also gave assurances that it was 100% digital.
    The only thing you'll have to watch out for are some of the little bugs that exist in your G98 software....rumoured to be fixed shortly. The gang on Hikers will certainly shout when that emerges.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,002
  9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I mean unprocessed, HDMI can be limted in resolution, DVi has Digital and analogue flavours.........
    G i have a cold and everything is quite fuzzy.....

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,027
    Hello Pat

Just to add to Gordon's post - the PDP-434HDE, PDP-435FDE and PDP-435XDE all have HDMI Inputs on the Media Receiver and there is no D/A conversion in the Media Receiver - in fact the R04 and R05 Media Receivers are unique in that they convert all Analogue sources to Digital and then any subsequent processing is kept in the Digital domain as is the signal transfer to the Screen.

The one limitation of the HDMI Input on the Media Receiver being the range of Input signals it accepts – though it will be fine with your DVD player at 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i.

The MXE1 whilst having less ‘processing’ than the HDE/XDE is currently limited to Inputting non encrypted Digital signals – so is NOT currently compatible with HDMI or DVI with HDCP sources; there are third party cards coming that add HDCP support to the MXE1 chassis but none have arrived as yet in the UK.

Drop me a note if you want more info on the choice of screen to best match you DVD player.

Best regards

Joe