1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Projection Screen for 2 Projectors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimarick, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jimarick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I am setting up a new home cinema system at home, and will have 2 projectors. One of which is a slide projector. This has no ability to change the image size or shape. The other will be a digital projector connected to a media centre pc.

With the slide projector in the appropriate position, it produces an 8ft image on the wall. So I am in need of an 8ft wide screen. The problem is, that the digital projector will be projecting an image in the 16:9 widescreen format (8ft wide), and the slide projector will be projecting an image in a 3:2 aspect ratio.

So it makes sense to have a 8ft x 5.33ft screen (3:2). But that will leave me with white borders around the widescreen image from the digital projector. I have not used these systems before. Would the white bars around the widescreen image detract from it? Would it be better to get 2 screens? Can you get screens with adjustable balckout borders? I was hoping for an electric screen.

I hope somebody can shed some light on this situation. I doubt that it is that commonly faced, and that there is an easy solution. We could just project the slides onto the white wall directly behind the canvas, but I hear that projecting onto a wall does not provide as good results? It is a newly plastered wall, and we can paint it with a specific paint if that would help?

Thanks very much
  2. Voiceedit

Jun 15, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    See my reply to "Velvet, Felt or Velour". What you do depends upon the zoom capablity of the movie projector as the other lens is fixed and the distances you have to place each projector from the screen. Masking is absolutely essential in my opinion in order to obtain the best result from any projected image yet this factor is often completely overlooked, even in some cinemas (especially recently consructed ones).
    Is your screen fixed or retractable - that is also a determining factor with masking arrangements.