A Problem with Playing Video

Bob++

Established Member
Reaction score
When I view a video saved on my machine the picture is fizzy and dispays artifacts - green lines in band up the screen

I assumed my ATI settings or the card itself were faulty and updated drivers, installed catylist etc - no improvement.

Normal screens like this one are displayed fine - it is just video, and it makes no difference what player I use. The weird thing is that YouTube videos play perfectly.

I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
You need to supply more info like -

what software you are using to play video.
what type of video file it is. e.g. AVI.MKV etc.

You need to supply more info like -

what software you are using to play video.
what type of video file it is. e.g. AVI.MKV etc.

It makes no difference - using 3 different players and mpg, avi, mkv - they all display similar interference to a greater or lesser extent. It also shows up on graphic intensive web pages like 2nd Life.

I thought maybe a virus so I did a system restore - no effect. I cleared all the cookies and ran malwarebytes which found nothing. I will try Spybot now.

Also now run hijack-this but still nothing.

Updated my ATI graphics card but still no improvement.

This is really bugging me now...:(

Last edited:
Give us a complete rundown of your hardware.

Some videos working and others not could be a faulty graphics card as, assuming it's not an ancient card, it'll help with playback of some video formats but leave other, less common or demanding ones, to the CPU. All videos except youtube does sound a bit unlikely though.

Have you tried anything using OpenGL/DirectX? Commonly games but if you haven't got any installed you could try a procedurally generated demo such as this one (don't worry about the settings, just hit demo).

The green bars showed up on the demo - same as the other graphics. This https://vimeo.com/44592575 however plays perfectly.

I have a fairly old computer running Vista with a core2 Intel chip and 2 gigs of memory. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1550. Temperatures etc all seem normal, fans are working and I have blown the dust out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom