1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A problem with green pink tinted areas

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by elementalist2, Mar 28, 2005.

1. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, forum. I'm new here, be gentle! ;)

I couldn't find this question answered, though I've seen similar problems, nothing else is quite the same - I'm hoping someone out there will know, though!

I got an NEC HT510 recently. All seems well except the last couple of days I've noticed a couple of tinting issues.

1) When there is a clear 'band' of darkness on screen any clear band of lightness near it will get a green tint - not the whole screen, just a corresponding nearby area.

2) When there is a large proportion of yellow in the picture, the top 10% of the display gets a gradually deepening pink tint. Gets darker pink toward the top.

It's definitely not the whole screen and both definately only occur under the conditions above, so I don't think it's a bad cable or lamp (that would cause a tint all the time or all over the picture?).

Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty upset at the thought that this might be a 'normal' aspect of RGB to component conversion (which I use to get from the DVD to the projector) or some such thing.

Would love it if one of you more experienced folks would know just which setting to play with! But even if one of you knows that this is definitely a hardware problem, at least I'll know to go chase the supplier or NEC.

Anyway - thanks lots in advance!

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Can you try a different source or input? That's very unusual for DLP, and I'm inclined to think it's something else other than the PJ.

Gary

3. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, I had that thought (hope) myself. Have tried a different RGB-component converter for the same result - I guess I should watch some more Sky+ as opposed to DVDs and see if the same thing happens.

Also try the S-Video connection and see if the same happens.

4. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    Are you by any chance using a Keen Syncblaster RGB - component converter ?

I had the same problem on my plasma using the one I had. Top of the screen had a red tint across it about 3" deep !

Wasnt always there and wasnt always easy to spot either

5. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am using the Keene box, but I've tried with a JS box too and get the same thing. Also, I just watched Sky+ for a couple of hours and didn't notice a problem - that may well be that no problem situation came up, but I don't think so - there were a few instances with a lot of yellow or with dark 'bands' and I saw no problem.

I'm beginning to think that my DVD player may be the source of the issues. If so, I wonder if a new one will be any better?...

I still would love to hear from someone else having similar issues :confused:

6. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok - I briefly this morning (before work - yes, this is bugging me badly!) checked on s-video. I had running the scene in Hero where the hero meets Broken Sword in the desert. Bottom half of the screen is desert yellow, top half is a white sky. From component inputs I get a pink tint to the top 10% of the screen, from s-video I don't.

It's looking like an issue with the DVD player RBG output either being 'bad' or not converting to component very well :(

Having said that, the s-video input had no sign of pink tint, but also wasn't showing the desert as very yellow... hmmm...

It's a sticky one - Ideas anyone? :)

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    The desert colour might mean an uncalibrated pj or a colour temp setting that is either too warm or too blue - that's a different issue to the RGB problem you're having witn the DVD player. Try changing the pj options and see if that improves things for colour.

I can't remember that scene very well - got a timing mark for it? I'll check it on one of my displays and see if it's meant to be yellow. IIRC, the colours were often very bright and were almost themic for some scenes, so I wonder if that's the case. What colour is the sand? A dull off-yellow?

Do you have a test disk like DVD or Avia? Using the greyscale ramps would show if the colour balance was incorrect or not.

Gary.

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    The problem may be that you don't really know what colour the desert is supposed to be - a copy of DVE might help here.

Also, if you look at the manual, it seems to suggest that the VGA port can take a SCART RGB input (look at page E56 - it suggests pin 11 is SCART SYNC, which is obviously not the same as H,V and comp sync which are on pins 13 and 15) and earlier on page E42 it talks about setting the VGA port for European SCART.
    Being as there is no way I know of to feed composite video or S-video into a VGA port - you can only assume that they mean RGB SCART.
    You may not need your converter - a suitable SCART-VGA cable may be all that is needed to feed RGB SCART straight into the projector.

9. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did use a test program at the weekend. The only test that gave the pink tint was a completely yellow screen - the tint wasn't as noticable as with a half yellow screen where the tinted part was supposed to be white (make any sense?)

Also, the test showed my black/white/greyscale/temperature to be fine, except when I had a screen simply half white and half black (horizonatally) the centre of the white half had a green tinge. It seems the 'fault' only manifests when there are strong areas of yellow (for the pink) and black (for the green).

Odd.

I've gone and bought a DVD59 so I'll know tonight if it was the DVD player, hopefully - will be using component without conversion and progressive scan from now on ;)

10. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, thanks for the suggestions, folks, but I've proved it's the DVD player to one extent or another, since a Cambridge Audio DVD59 I just tried didn't exibit the problems at all.

The problem now is that the CA DVD59 is rubbish! Well, I'm comparing it to an old(er) Sony NS905V that doesn't have progressive scan and the picture is better. With progressive scan on or off I find the picture worse on the DVD59 :( Oh, well, I guess I was a little naive to think something that cost £120 would impress me when blown up to 100inches by a projector?...

11. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Is there a particular problem with the picture from the 59 (noise, smearing, posterization etc.)? It seems to be considered a fairly good player for a budget buy so I wonder if there's a setup issue, or possibly a poor sample of the unit?

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    A long story short..

I had a Toshiba SD510 from Richer Sounds, and that produced a great picture but there was a slight green shift (to the left) with it's PAL output, so I took it back. They recommended a CA59 so I took that home with me, and found the interlaced image quite soft, and the NTSC progressive not much better. The PAL progressive output had faint vertical lines on it, so overall, I wasn't that impressed either so took it back for a refund. The Limit S9000 also had a slightly soft image but played everything without a hitch and didn't have any issues with PAL progressive. A Philips 963 also had lots of problems so that was sent back to the on-line shop I bought it from.

The Panasonic S75 that a fellow avforums member brought round was much better, and if I wasn't happy with my HTPC, that would have been the player I'd have bought. It compared well with the Pioneer 656 that I'de seen so I felt the S75 was excellent value. More so now that it can be had very cheaply (if you can still buy them new)since it's no longer produced as far as I know.

I forgot to mention - I was using an NEC HT1000 and 7ft wide screen as the display. I would think on smaller displays such as tvs and plasmas, the pictures produced by these players may not have appeared as bad.

The best players I've seen recently are the Pioneer 668 and 868 using the HDMI connection, which is comparable to HTPC playback.

Gary.

13. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, Ken!

I did sit with it for about 2 hours trying various settings (Shaprness, Brightness, Contrast, interlaced, ntse/pal progressive, etc.) and nothing would shift a glowing halo (that I call ghosting, but probably isn't the issue). With progressive is was bigger (wider) but softer, but on both i-scan and p-scan it was 'orrible. It was also noticably 'noisier' (grainier).

All this is compared to my old NS905.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, but I would prefer to be more impressed than less, whatever the issues, and I wasn't :(

Ah, well - as I have said elsewhere, though, I have managed to find an AV757 going cheap, so that should be much more impressive *fingers crossed*

Thanks for folks' comments, all!