A problem with 2018 Samsung Q6 tv and LG Atmos soundbar

Riby

Novice Member
Hi! I'm a proud owner of a Samsung QE49Q6FNA (a 2018 model Q6 tv) and I love its picture quality. Yesterday I bought a LG SL8YG 3.1.2 Atmos soundbar since I've been wanting to experience Atmos sound for a while now. When I was setting the soundbar up I learnt that apparently my fancy qled tv doesn't support Dolby Atmos. After I found out about this I've been searching for a solution, but I haven't found any solid solution for the problem. The only solution I have come up with is to connect my PS4 Pro to a HDMI splitter and feed the other end to my soundbar and the other end to the tv, but that would be expensive since proper splitters cost over 100€. Apparently I could also just hook my PS4 to the soundbar and then hook the soundbar to the tv, but to my understanding I would have to give up 4k and HDR in the process?

Can anyone here help me with my problem? Is there any way to get a 2018 Samsung qled tv to stream Dolby Atmos audio? A custom firmware for example? If not, what would be the best way for me to use my PS4 Pro to watch 4k HDR content with Dolby Atmos with my setup? If the splitter is the best option, is there any cost effective option available?

Then there is another problem I've run into. My tv allows me to choose Dolby Digital +as my sound output when I'm on the Netflix app and on the Disney+ app. When I switch to my PS4 Pro, the tv doesn't allow me to choose Dolby Digital + as it's greyed out. I can only choose Dolby Digital, which in my understanding is inferior and doesn't support surround sound? I've set up my tv to receive HDMI input as bitstream and I've also set the PS4 Pro to send audio as Dolby bitstream from its settings. I can't understand why the tv doesn't allow me to change to Dolby Digital + when I'm on PS4 Pro.

Lastly I would like to ask if any of this matters? What would you do with my setup and is there really a noticeable difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital +? Should I just give up and enjoy the soundbar as it is?

Help me Avforums, you are my only hope!

Last edited:

outoftheknow

That says the soundbar passes 4K HDR - and I would expect it to to be honest.

A PS4 plugged into the input and the soundbar connected to the TV by ARC (for TV source sound up to DD+) will simply work.

Plug it in soundbar and it will fix both your problems. A PS4 and 2018/19 TV and Soundbar shouldn’t cause any issues - I think you may have read that the soundbar doesn’t pass 4K/120, HDR+, VRR etc but that isn’t an issue for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom