A Problem many will face I Fear....

T

Toekiller

With Sky HD and the new consoles appearing soon, I'm facing the dilema of connecting them all up with connections that don't exist on my viewing gear.

I have a HS10 Sony Projector. A PC is connected via the DVI port, Sky Box via SVideo and Xbox via component. The last two over the long proprietary cable into the projector.

So...

I could go component for the Xbox360 and SKYBOX HD and use a switcher which would then feed the component connection on the long cable. ( Any recomendations? ) This would be the simplest and cheapest yet I would guess give the worst PQ out of my options.

Next a DVI or HDMI switch. This suddenly gets exensive and drops me into the unknown. I could go..

PC - DVI to HDMI Cable - HDMI SwitchBox
XBOX360 - HDMI - HDMI SwitchBox
SKY HD - HDMI - HDMI SwitchBox

Then from HDMI Switch box use a HMDI to DVI cable into the HS10.

Or use a DVI switch but would that knacker me up re being HDCP complient?

Also is there a penalty for using HDMI to DVI?

Regarding the HS10, I have to use PowerStrip to get a proper image to fit from the PC, what happens via DVI / HDMI from a HD Source?

God I'm confused :p

Well the Xbox 360 won't have digital video outputs, so component will actually be the best option you have. Although you could also go VGA on that one.

The official specs from Microsoft have been quite clear on this one - component video output only. There is lots of speculation about later models being fitted with HDMI, but not confirmed yet AFAIA. Don't forget that fitting HDMI means paying a license fee for the HDCP copy protection that's needed. Since MS made the decision not to include a HD-DVD drive in the first models, the need for for the extra expense of a digital connection became less pressing. There are also lots of potential customers out there who only have component available to them.

Ill probably be using VGA from day one. If they offer HDMI later then ill go for that. But quality wise I doubt we will see much of an improvement over VGA or component.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom