A previous update may break a small number of consoles

DJSigma

Ex Member
Reaction score
It seems that a small number of consoles are incompatible with the next dashboard update and will stop reading discs once updated. If this happens to you, MS will give you a 250GB Xbox 360 S and 12 months of Xbox Live for free. In fact, they can even detect over Xbox Live which consoles are affected and they're sending emails out to customers already.

Source: -

BREAKING: The Latest XBox LIVE Update May Affect DVD Drives | Kotaku Australia

Good way to get rid of the old console with the easily flashable drives

My xbox is already extremely temperamental, discs don't load, I'll play an arcade game from the hard drive, go back to the dash and it'll read the disc first time. It's like it needs to be 'warmed up' before it'll read them. Most odd, and annoying!

I don't think it's that, m1ket, cos all of the old style 360s have drives that can be flashed.

If they're still choosing to go ahead with the update despite this, then it must be a really small number of users that are affected. My guess would be that it's because the new firmware update also flashes the DVD drive firmware to add support for XGD3 discs, and there's probably one particular revision of DVD drive in certain batches of consoles that can't be flashed in this way, so the user wouldn't be able to play the latest games.

Here's the email: -

PwKbu.png

It's been confirmed as legit by Xbox Support on Twitter.

My nephew got this email last night and I was asked about it this morning. Sounded a bit dodgy to me but having looked over the email and seeing this thread, it all seems legit.

I actually want the update to break my xbox!

Ditto.

I've got an just-post-launch 20GB 360 still struggling along. I basically cant install games to the HDD, the fan is even noisier than when i got it (Teh Mrs wont let me play it once she's gone to bed), and ME2 seemed to have a lot of pauses to render/load graphics etc.

Here's hoping i'm one of the "unlucky" ones :smashin:

I reckon you'll be fine, Jason. The Halo Slim is just the same as the other Slims, but with a different case, so if they had to replace yours, they'd have to replace all Slims that use the same DVD drive. I really can't see that happening.

Doesn't the update get released tomorrow? I'm sure I read that they're going to release it in stages across different areas starting on the 19th. If so, then you'd have been informed by now as they can tell if your console is incompatible over Xbox Live.

Got a few old 360's that havent been turn on for a while hopefully one of them will bork with the update!

I guess that "small' number of consoles is the one's from 2006 that haven't got RROD?

If so I'm going to try and get a cheap 2006-2007 360, surely the DVD drive can be flashed on them then I can get another 360 for the house.

I wonder if the price for pre-owned goes up just because of this ?

Nope just seen a few for around ÂŁ22.00 :eek:

It seems that a small number of consoles are incompatible with the next dashboard update and will stop reading discs once updated. If this happens to you, MS will give you a 250GB Xbox 360 S and 12 months of Xbox Live for free. In fact, they can even detect over Xbox Live which consoles are affected and they're sending emails out to customers already.

Source: -

BREAKING: The Latest XBox LIVE Update May Affect DVD Drives | Kotaku Australia

So does this mean that J-Shagged consoles will break and MS will give the owners new consoles?

I don't think it's that, m1ket, cos all of the old style 360s have drives that can be flashed.

If they're still choosing to go ahead with the update despite this, then it must be a really small number of users that are affected. My guess would be that it's because the new firmware update also flashes the DVD drive firmware to add support for XGD3 discs, and there's probably one particular revision of DVD drive in certain batches of consoles that can't be flashed in this way, so the user wouldn't be able to play the latest games.

Here's the email: -

It's been confirmed as legit by Xbox Support on Twitter.

OK so basically this update will break consoles that have been flashed to play backups.

So does this mean that J-Shagged consoles will break and MS will give the owners new consoles?

OK so basically this update will break consoles that have been flashed to play backups.

nothing has been suggested it has anything to do with flashed consoles, MS would never give flash console users a 'heads up' and then replace their flashed/JTAG console

Could this be the benq dvd drive? Wasn't it hard to flash or not flashable or something? Also isn't it the least common?

Seems a possible candidate for not being upgradable.

Could this be the benq dvd drive? Wasn't it hard to flash or not flashable or something? Also isn't it the least common?

Seems a possible candidate for not being upgradable.

it wont be for anything as generic as a certain type of dvd drive, MS wont replace hundreds of thousands of consoles. as DJSigma said, it will probably be for some small batch of consoles released with some kind of anomaly

edit: I can not be held responsible if MS go crazy and render every 360 useless and makes the PSN saga looks like an episode of Happy Days

Last edited:
it wont be for anything as generic as a certain type of dvd drive, MS wont replace hundreds of thousands of consoles. as DJSigma said, it will probably be for some small batch of consoles released with some kind of anomaly

edit: I can not be held responsible if MS go crazy and render every 360 useless and makes the PSN saga looks like an episode of Happy Days

It could be for certain revisions of dvd drive, that maybe have a small capacity firmware chip or just aren't flashable under control of the 360 motherboard. We are talking about discs not being readable which does sort of indicate a dvd drive problem.

This must be affecting Microsofts profits having to issue people new slims and 12 months gold with at least ÂŁ200 per unit including the gold sub

It could be for certain revisions of dvd drive, that maybe have a small capacity firmware chip or just aren't flashable under control of the 360 motherboard. We are talking about discs not being readable which does sort of indicate a dvd drive problem.

Thats what i meant when i put 'as DJSigma said'

and there's probably one particular revision of DVD drive in certain batches of consoles that can't be flashed in this way

it just wont be as straight forward as 'all Benq drives wont work with this new update'

This must be affecting Microsofts profits having to issue people new slims and 12 months gold with at least ÂŁ200 per unit including the gold sub

maybe a tiny bit, you do realise MS do more than just 360's right?

the fact that they have the hindsight before the firmware is released to rectify it shows that they must be on the ball, they wouldn't release the firmware knowing they would then have to replace millions of consoles at a massive loss

No, if a flashed console is updated, then during the update process, the DVD drive is flashed with a new stock firmware. The console will work perfectly, as intended. It just won't play copies of games any more.

After reading around a bit, it seems it might be a certain Hitachi drive that's causing the problem, as it doesn't get flashed with the new stock firmware when the console is updated. Obviously, MS aren't going to confirm that, otherwise people will go out buying cheap second hand consoles that have the affected drive just so they can say "send me my new Slim and 12 months of Gold!". :D

GAZBEROTTEN said:
They can identify affected consoles over Live and have already contacted users. If it was going to affect a lot of people (and by a lot, I mean a large percentage of users), then there'd be a number of people from AVF saying "I got that email as well", but that hasn't happened. The dashboard update brings new anti-piracy measures that will work in conjunction with new APIs in the dev kit, so this is about protecting their (and their partners) investment, not just spending money for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I have two consoles kicking about, 08 and 09 models, highly unlikely but you never know, I am assuming the advanced emails are going to folks who have registered their boxes with MS!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom