1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A possible twist in trying to remove Z2 VB

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, Dec 24, 2003.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now before everyone says they have none, i will say that if this is the case, you are either very lucky or your machine is poorly calibrated (not the sort of calibration you can fix) or as a sidenote...... ive only used dvi, so maybe it could be a dvi problem.....

As most know, i have been really playing and im almost at 50 hours now, and had a good play again today. At default, I barely can see the VB. But, none of the available presets look remotely good as far as greyscale goes. As a sidenote, out of the box contrast ratio is actually very good.

Anyhow, i assumed VB was likely not tweaked at the factory and i figured, if anything, i would improve on it. This seems to be a bad assumption! On calibrating the greyscale, the first thing that I have found necessary is to increase black level and decrease white, otherwise gamma just isnt pretty. Initial side-effect, contrast ratio is out the window, back to the normal lcd sort of figures. But the point of the thread..... well even now the VB has started to manifest more clearly. Upon actually tweaking the colors, well things get worse. By the time I get a nice greyscale..... banding is pretty obvious from 30 to 90 IRE. The adjustment of the various adjustments to fix banding doesnt really do much, it can mask it a fraction, but it cant get rid. I will also say that i have done this a number of different ways and each time ended up with pretty much the same result...... a lovely greyscale with average contrast ratio and visible banding.

However...... there is light! I discovered that the settings I have on my pc will allow me to basically fiddle with the greyscale without touching the Z2. What is more interesting to me is that the result tended to be easier to achieve and with greater accuracy. This led me to wonder about the bands..... so...... I UNcalibrated the Z2, making no attention to the grey tracking but only to the presence of the banding. It isnt too hard to mask over it totally. Of course, the grey is now worse than ever! But..... if i now calibrate using the pc adjustments, i can get the system to track the grey yet the banding is someway improved upon the solution which utilised the Z2 controls only.

Whether anyone cares....... well i dont know but maybe this helps someone! Now, if only I could get some way to make these damn lcd blacks into real blacks...... id be well chuffed! :D

all the best

ad

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,746
    You know what, I think it's about time you sat down and watched a film on the damn thing, seriously how long do you intend to keep tweaking it? It'll never be perfect, it costs £1500 for gods sake, all I know is that for 1/3rd the price of a plasma display it is an absolute bargain and watching a film on a plasma in no way compares to watching a film on the Z2, VB or no VB.... there I've said my (slightly drink influenced) piece, and with that I'm off to see Xmas day in with the wife... hehe

Night all..

Oh and merry xmas

Andy.

3. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think you are been a bit hard on Buns there Andy! You know different strokes for different folks and all that. It isn’t compulsory to read his threads! Anyway, I for one do find his exploits interesting/useful.

I reckon I have just about got my Z2 picture where I want it but have had to make some compromises along the way i.e. accept a bit of vb in certain material etc. No projector is going to be perfect and given the cost of the Z2 the compromises required are pretty small (agree with you there Andy!). Also, thing is, there is massive variation amongst the material I feed it anyway– some stuff has contrast heavily boosted, on other films colours are washed out, others (especially silent films!!!!) tons of noise etc. – so never going to have anywhere near a perfect picture all the time anyway so compromise is inevitable!! I think it's all about getting the best balance of compromises.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been watching films now! :p Ive been through 6 now since i got it last week...... thats pretty good going for me!

£1500 is enough to get a fab picture, my old sanyo gave such a fantastic picture, so with 2 years more experience I am expecting that the Z2 should be capable of alot more than the plv30. So far it is better, but not as much as i would have hoped.

ad

ad

5. SJR

SJR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep the tweaking reviews coming buns, I've been reading them all with a lot of interest. OK, so my Z2 is at "out of the box" configuration (as good as) at the moment, but it is useful to know the various tweaks that can be made. I've only had my PJ for a few weeks, and always force myself to use anything I buy for at least a month before I start "messing" with it. It's surprising actually how many of the early niggles disappear (well become less irritating) after a month, but that's another story.

Anyway, keep the comments coming. After all, most major discoveries are made from dabbling. ;)

Steve