1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A plea for help: Sourcing a TYST-42PX20

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_P, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi all,

In Summary:
    Does anybody know of anyone that has these, "rarer than hen's teeth", items in stock in the UK? :confused:

In Detail:
    My first post here (been a longtime lurker though :rolleyes: )and I'm hoping someone can help. At the end of last month I bought a Panasonic Viera TH37PE30B from Richer Sounds, great service from Cardiff branch and a tidy price too. The TV was delivered on the 1st July, unfortunately, they couldn't supply a pedestal stand so at the same time I ordered my telly I also placed an order with Empire Direct for the TYST-42PX20. Trouble is, two weeks later and I am still waiting for the <insert your expletive here :censored: > stand to turn up. :mad:

Empire Direct are very apologetic over the phone but they claim they can't give me any information as to a delivery date as Panasonic are keeping them in the dark. I tend to believe them as I have read many posts here which corroborate their position. They have even gone so far to say that if I can source another unit before they can, they will cancel my order and refund me without any hassle.

My only contact with Panasonic customer care hasn't been very fruitfull. :thumbsdow They reckon I should get my stand by the end of this month, if I'm lucky. :suicide: However, for those unlucky enough to place an order today delivery would be expected around end of August!! what the fudge!? :eek:

Unfortunately, for me, I really want the table top stand and not the 'ooh ahh what a lovely design' cabinet stand or wall mount options as I want to place a fair amount of AV (at least four boxes) under the TV itself.

What really rattles my chains is that in the US domestic market, the Americans get their Viera tellys with the pedestal included as a standard accessory, bundled with the remote, ferrite cores, batteries, power lead, etc. See link - US Spec TH37PX25 manual, PDF format. Kinda begs the question why we don't get the same treatment in the UK (I know bean counters and profit margins :rolleyes: ), I would write a scathing letter to Panny customer care if I thought it would do any good but it wouldn't.

So any ideas? If you made it this far without switching off, thanks for reading my tale of woe. *Sigh*At the end of the day all I want is a stand for me telly in a reasonable timescale. :lease:

S. (still cheesed off, still staring at a cardboard box in the lounge, grr)

2. nbk7zc3

nbk7zc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I have the same problem, except I bought the screen from Empire Direct and it was delivered on the 25/6. Currently they can give me no idea of delivery time for the stand.

To make matters worse, I have sold our original TV and it has departed the house, so we have an empty space where the TV should be and a large cardboard box in the dining room.

My wife is now giving me abuse on the hour and Empire Direct, who said they would swap the screen for a replacement, are now saying they won't as I've had it longer than 7 days.

I have rung round all the major outlets and no one either has the stand or has any idea when they'll get one. Sorry that this isn't a very helpful post, but as we're sharing woe's...

Cheers,

Mark

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Steve p, I have your PM, but cannot rely to pm's at present, no clue why not, just get an error message with every forum page. But I cannot help, I don't stock and hardly ever sell vieras, PA's etc, only monitors. I don't have a stand, or any contact where you might find one. Sorry.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for replying so quickly MAW. *Sigh* Oh Well...

Anyone else able to help with this dilemma? :( Panasonic and their customer care are totally f:censored:g useless at the moment. :mad:

S.

5. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Steve,

I feel your pain, I looked in a lot of places for this and couldn't find it. In the end I got the PA20, which apparently fits. I have seen the Viera on this stand and I actually prefer it. Couldn't find a PX20, though.....

Good luck,

Noel

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks Noel,

I too also thought about the PA20 stand but as I mentioned in another thread the PA20 is almost half the weight of the PX20 stand, 6kg as opposed to 12kg, I thought there must be a reason for that so have opted for the Pannny recommended PX20 stand. I'm probably erring too far on the side of caution though.

After weeks of chasing both Panny and Emp Dir I feel I have got no where. :mad: The final straw was today when I received an email from Panny customer care saying that yes a shipment is due in today but they know they don't have enough to cover all outstanding orders so I could be waiting until the end of August :confused: :thumbsdow :( Should it really take up to 2 months to get a flippin' stand? Sorry to moan and whine like this but a month of having a £3,000 RRP plasma living in a box in the front room has finally got to me, that and Empire Direct debited £120 from my credit card for the pedestal almost immediately. :mad:

I know it may seem trivial when compared to other's problems but it's been one hell of a frustrating month.

S.

7. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Noel,

Do you have any pictures of the PA20 stand with the Viera screen?

Claus

8. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Claus, I've seen pictures of it, but the guy at Shop@Panasonic just told me it doesn't fit because the bolts are not long enough. They have them in for a good price but I don't want to buy if there are gonna be problems. I get the feeling they wouldn't refund the money if they have said it won't fit and they are proved correct....

9. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

Sorry Claus, I don't have any pictures (or a digital camera), but I'm sure I have seen some posted on the forum, just can't remember where.

Alltorque,

My 42PE30 is on the stand and working fine. Honestly. You use the long gold bolts in the kit through the bottom holes into the tv and it fits like a glove.

Regards,

Noel.

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Success!! :D I called in a favour from someone I know who works in a A/V shop in London, I got their last stand in stock. :clap: I placed my order for a TY-ST42PX20 on Monday just gone (2 AUG) and the pedestal arrived yesterday. I collected it today and my PE30 is now up and running. Awesome picture, pixels seem to be all present and correct :thumbsup: :cool: Briefly viewed in Dynamic mode before changing to Cinema mode and turning down Brightness/Contrast for the run in period. I am on cloud nine :D

Today I also took great pleasure in cancelling my outstanding order with Empire Direct. :smashin: Both Empire and Panasonic Customer Care advised me on Monday that I would be waiting until 27 August to get the stand as that is now the latest ETA of the next shipment. :rolleyes: I shall be writing a final email to Panny customer care telling them where they can place their end of August ship date too. ;) Shame on Panasonic UK for allowing this situation to arise in the first place. :thumbsdow Over two months for a stand? I think not. I can finally banish the shipping box to the loft from the front room :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm off to watch the telly!

S.

11. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve

Glad you finally got your stand, I agree, an absolute disgrace on Panasonic's part with these stands, I guess they were hoping everyone would spend a few hundred quid more on the floor stand!

How you finding your plasma with ntl, got the same box and looking at this plasma when I finally get the funds sorted, feels like forever.

12. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Gazzad,

Thanks mate :) Seems like everyone can see how absurd the stand situation is apart from Panny themselves.

The plasma is great with an ntl feed, very crisp and well defined. My cable digibox is an original release so it has S-video out and not RGB as the later boxes are. My cablebox also has separate left/right audio out on phono connectors. Therefore, I have the box connected to AV2S on the plasma and also have the stereo audio out feeding my Sony 5.1 surround system. My only gripes are that some channels can be overly compressed and therefore can become blocky in fast moving or other certain scenes but this is a failing of the broadcasters in the UK as opposed to the TV. The only other minor niggle is that I was expecting to be able to pan and scale the screen image when the Zoom aspects are selected as my parents Panny TX-36PL30 can. But it seems that the 3 Zoom aspect modes of the PE30 are fixed, shame that.

S.