A Perfect Planet 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

These shows have become horrendously preachy. Being told off for an hour gets tiresome no matter how pretty the pictures. And they’re not above a bit of sensationalism after the walrus debacle on the last one.

Honestly feel the same. Used to love the splendour of the older series with a bit of a conservation message built in. Now it just makes for a depressing watch. To be clear, I agree with the message, not the vehicle.

I enjoyed the first 4 episodes, but really struggled to sit through the final 5th episode. That was far to preachy for me. I doubt I'll be buying these discs no matter how good the picture quality is.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to adding this to the collection "Earth/Planet" dics I have collected over the years. Life in the Freezer, was a particular favourite, loved the environment as well as the story.
I agree with the comments of over doing the planet damage messaging, but I get the feeling Attenborough sees these as the last chances he has to make a difference before he passes. I can only hope that I don't see the consequences that he talks about and nor does the coming generations. Whilst I am annoyed that there is little about any progress being made anywhere, I still get that there is a lot the human race has to do to stop a major natural disaster, as despite the way this comes across I do believe we are significantly affecting the climate on this planet.

Staying with the video though, ever since the first Planet Earth episodes, the imagery and quality of the following discs is awesome, both in the style of photography as much as the care taken to make it look so good. Thank heaven for drones!!!

So despite the rants, I am grabbing this one, to continue a collection of high quality natural programming and visuals.

Have enjoyed this on iPlayer UHD, but the audio uptick on physical will push me to purchase to sit alongside Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 set.

They have been pushing the message, but the planet is in a bit of a state, the plastics message did have an impact.

The soundtracks are also superb, regularly listen to them.

edit : thanks for the review Simon

Last edited:
Just to be clear it’s not the message I have a problem with. But they should take it up with the CCP, and other entities that can do something about it; not some guy sitting at home watching the product of god knows how many long haul flights that were taken to produce this programme. Which make no mistake, was ultimately made with the goal of making money.

I Will definitely pick the 4k blu ray up. Been a huge fan of Sir David Attenborough when I bought the Blue Planet dvd almost 20 years ago in 2001.

Yes some people might find the message of A Perfect Planet too preachy. But I bet for even more people it will actually hit a cord making them think about the planet and make beneficial lifestyle changes.

Sometimes being subtle doesn't get the message across.

I enjoyed the first 4 episodes, but really struggled to sit through the final 5th episode. That was far to preachy for me. I doubt I'll be buying these discs no matter how good the picture quality is.
I've recorded them onto the hard drive of my BD recorder in 1080i and will transfer the series (and edit the talking voice at the end credits) onto a BD-R.

By the way I get the comments about being preachy, but there are still too many out there that persist with just not getting it. Just like the covidiots insisting that Covid-19 is a hoax. 🤬 Ok rant over.

Just finished watching this on 4k discs. Enjoyed it very much, but not as much as the last 2 series.

Picture quality as expected is outstanding, HDR content is amazing. Only have a 5.1 surround setup but it sounded really good. For me though its all about PQ with this, been waiting for it to trial on my new tv and it didnt disappoint.

likewise I enjoyed the first 4 episodes but by the end of the 4th I had decided not to watch the the 5th and to avoid what was obviously going to be a sermon ending.

Use to love these and the actual information about animals is fascinating.

Soon as they talk about climate change etc I turn off as it’s political now and can’t stand being told by hypocrites like David Attenborough and his crew.

I mean crying about climate change then travelling thousands of miles to film about animals, hmm

Don’t think the production team can rely on a group of ants to get them across the ocean, some flamingos to get the drone footage...

The series is just superb.
As for the climate message, people have been told about it for decades, it is not improving, it's worsening.
All the people that make these programmes, that dedicate their lives to these creatures, are witnessing first hand the impact humans are having on the environment.
To use a high profile series to get the message across about climate change, a captive worldwide audience, seems like the perfect vehicle to me.
Blue Planet 2 was one of the big catalysts for the huge worldwide plastic awareness movement of recent years, it worked.
Why would the producers travel the world and not include environmental impact? The time for burying heads in sand has passed, it's now or never.
And of course they have to fly all over the world with lots of equipment, a series about pigs shot in England on a mobile phone wouldn't be quite the same.

Don’t think the production team can rely on a group of ants to get them across the ocean, some flamingos to get the drone footage...
I'm probably wrong, as I can't seem to find the article I think I'd read ages ago, but I thought the production was supposed to be carbon neutral as they'd enrolled in some sort of "offset programme"? It's annoying me now as I'm not sure if that's just a figment of my imagination! :D

And hasn't the logic also been for other series that "We'll show you this so you don't have to go in your droves and see it yourself"?

I've not watched any of this series, but I like to sit and watch similar ones with my little girl (6 soon to be 7). Quick question, are there any scenes I should be wary off, ie animals killing each other etc? I can handle the sad stuff and explaining what's happening, but a bit young yet to see lions eating zebra for example!!

Sold. Thanks Simon. Disc arriving tomorrow.

I've not watched any of this series, but I like to sit and watch similar ones with my little girl (6 soon to be 7). Quick question, are there any scenes I should be wary off, ie animals killing each other etc? I can handle the sad stuff and explaining what's happening, but a bit young yet to see lions eating zebra for example!!
I watched it with my 8 year old.
They are no bloody eating scenes.
There are definitely sad scenes, scenes of dead animals, animals fighting and being caught by others, eating eggs, but no real blood as far as I can remember.

I'm probably wrong, as I can't seem to find the article I think I'd read ages ago, but I thought the production was supposed to be carbon neutral as they'd enrolled in some sort of "offset programme"? It's annoying me now as I'm not sure if that's just a figment of my imagination! :D

And hasn't the logic also been for other series that "We'll show you this so you don't have to go in your droves and see it yourself"?
You are not imagining, I’ve read it too many years ago. The teams involved are well aware for their footprint, even if not, management would still offset to keep the media from spinning the story.

I watched it with my 8 year old.
They are no bloody eating scenes.
There are definitely sad scenes, scenes of dead animals, animals fighting and being caught by others, eating eggs, but no real blood as far as I can remember.
That's great, many thanks.

Thanks for the review.

Maybe it’s not part of the review process but: out of curiosity did you watch any of the standard blu-rays for comparison?

Nerdy question time - what frame-rates have the 4K / BD discs been authored at? Is the DTS-HD audio listed in your specs page just for the standard blu-ray? Or do both the 4K and HD come with Atmos/DTS-HD?

(I did try to find this back-of-the-box info else where but no luck seeing it on various product-buying pages 🤓)

Last edited:
Not heard of this but will give it a watch. What's the quality of iPlayer for this - does it come in UHD?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom