A perfect dvd-player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AndersR, Oct 4, 2003.

1. AndersR

AndersR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We all want HD, but it's going to take some time before the blu-ay format gets ready. In the meantime microsoft has come up with windows media player 9 (WM9) that will allow us to store HD content on a regular dvd. For some positive comments on WM9 read:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/show-report-vsda-2003.html

So what features will the ultimate dvd player have - a player that we dont want to upgrade until blu-ray or some other new format hits the street. My proposal is:

digital
    WM9 support (using new sigma chipset) 720p/1080p
    dvd/dvd-a/sacd/hdcd/cd
    dvi (hdcp) or hdmi for video output
    i.link or hdmi for audo output

analogue
    6 analogue outputs for sound
    component video output (pal/ntsc prog.)
    svhs and scart output

By the way, do we really need any analogue outputs at all, or could we just skip them, and do you think hdmi will be superior to i.link and dvi?

Actually we are not that for away from being able to get all these features in just one player. The new top-end pioneer has hdmi, but mises out on WM9, and the new top end denon has WM9 but not hdmi.

Maybe with next years models we shall get all the gimmicks at last.

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you not need analogue for SACD and DVD-A?

Is there a reason why 'universal' DVD players don't play MPEGs? They do jpegs.

3. richieb1971

richieb1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The I-Link capable DVD players do not need analogue outputs. The I-link connector takes the digital source (from SACD or DVDA) and is able to send that digital signal straight to the receiver where it is converted to analogue. This eliminates any degradation down the path to the receiver. Its better quality basically, and cheaper than using 6 analogue cables.

DVI and HDMI do the same for the video, the digital signal is sent to the display unit, where it is converted internally by the display device to analogue. Therefore you get exactly what is on the disc, no degradation, a simple one cable solution and no need to pay ridiculously high prices for monster cable. As digital is on or off, it will either work or it won't.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Except that i-link doesn't work on encrypted DVD-A, which is nearly all of it.

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don´t need the analog outputs, but you forgot a good scaler, like the new Faroudja player has... :smashin:

6. AndersR

AndersR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I remember reading at avsforum, that the first generation of hdmi is not capable of carrying a mulitchannel audio signal at a high resolution - probably same issue as with the i.link. At least I know it does not support a dsd signal from a sacd player, not until sony allows for it. I am sure that hdmi will be able to do everything, and indeed the industry is working on it, but it's probably going to take some time. My guess is at least a year depending on sony.
    I am disapointed that the first generation of hdmi, which the new pioneer top dvd player features, will not work like a proper hdmi should. I think maybe a lot of consumers will be confused and buy it because of the hdmi badge - not knowing that it's hdmi version 1.0. It's not yet good enough for high rez audio, but it might be okay for a replacement of the dvi cable for video.

In the long run I hope that by going digital, we will be able to buy cheaper dvd-players, because we don't have to pay for analogue outputs and dac's. Consider having only two hdmi outputs: one to go to the projector and another for the reciever.

By the way - maybe there is a better solution than all this digital talk. If we accept that the class A amplifier is good enough compared to the newly evolving class D (which is probably the case for the time being), then why not put all the surround decoding, dacs and volume control in the dvd-player, and output the analogue signal into a 7ch. power amplifier of good quality. In this case we would only have one digital to analogue conversion, by seperating all digital/analoge in two boxes. I have allways wondered why dvd-players can decode dolby digital and dts, but not the new ex and es formats.
    As long as we are not considering the class d (Where the signal should remain digital as long as possible) then the need for HDMI and i.link (and all the copyright protection issues) would simply not exist. Also, we could hang on to the amplifier forever, because it would never need to be upgraded.

cheers

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are some new SONY that have everything digital in one box, including 200 watts per channel powers, transport and tunner, they get rave reviews in AA... :eek:

I prefer transport with scaler, digital outputs, HDMI 2 sounds like the probable solution, plus processor with digital tunner...

Then active speakers, with DSP xovers like Meridian and Dynaudio Air, but I could live with analog ATC or PMC, if I prefer the sound... :rotfl: