A patch panel or not

blackcabmal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a dozen cat5e cables coming out from a brushplate and was wondering if i would be better off connecting first to patch panel and the flyleads to switch or going straight to switch,my hunch is it would be a neater job using a patch panel.Having never even seen a PP in the flesh so to speak,are they easy to punch down and is it the same method as i have done to my wall modules,some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Murray

On the plus side, patch panels give you the chance to make a very neat installation and give you complete wiring flexibility. Patch panels have punch down IDC connectors, in a similar manner to your wall modules.

On the minus side they add additional points of failure and additional electrical losses. I have seen (but not used) 'HDMI over cat 5' products that say they will only work with point to point wiring, and not through patch panels.

If you haven't already, make sure you fit the sockets correctly. There are 'how to' instructions on all over the web. In particular, don't untwist the individual pairs until the very last moment before the wire enters the IDC.

My view is that patch panels are the way to go for anything but a very small installation

It will most likely be the same method as you used for your wall modules if you used a punch down tool for those (some wall sockets are "tool-less" in that they only require a pair of snips, no special tools). This video gives you a rough idea of what it's like.

If you using the CAT5 to carry HDMI signals then the best advice is where possible to avoid patch panels – if the cables are for your IP network us the patch panel.

Joe

Thanks for the replies going to go with a 12 port soho patch panel from screwfix.
Thanks

Is that really the case not to do HDMI over Cat6 via a patch panel????

That will scupper me a bit.

I'm just running all my cat6 cables to destinations and back to a central point.
The idea was to have everything going to a patch panel, then for IP traffic link from patch panel to switch port, but for HDMI distribution, come out of the HDMI IP matrix and go to the associated 'room' port on the patch panel. (x2 obviously).

:facepalm:

HDMI over Twisted pair and HDMI over IP are two different technologies.

With HDMI over Twisted pair its best to have the Transmitter RJ45 directly connected to the Receiver RJ45’s with no breaks in-between.

It is possible to run an HDMI over Twisted pair Matrix via a Patch panel, wall plate, jumper etc. – though these are all potentially failure points in your system and best avoided.

Joe

Hi there,

I agree and we would recommend the same things.

You'll lose roughly 10% of the transmission distance available for each additional connection you put in the way of the HDMI transmission. This includes wall sockets and patch panels.

Best practice is to terminate the cables at both ends straight to plugs and put them straight in the HDMI device (matrix etc). If you are intent on keeping the patch bay, you can try using solid core patch leads.

Most ordinary network patch cords are stranded cores. Multiple strands of copper to make up each wire. This gives the cables the flexibility required for IT cabinets. However, it can cause problems for HDMI transmission. A solid core patch lead can be made up from network cable off a reel (as it's solid that is fitted into walls).

HDMI over IP is indeed a separate technology. Our 2nd generation HDMI over IP units are available through our trade arm, Connectivity UK - Just Add Power HDMI over IP - UK Exclusive Distributor if you are a trade customer.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

HDCable Customer Services

Thanks for the info.
I'm using solid core for the main runs and indeed will run solid core if intend to use the patch panel.

The reason i wanted to use the patch panel is to have the option of just routing that particular port to be an ethernet port instead of direct HDMI port if needs be.

As regards the TV end in the various rooms, i was planning on terminating at a wall socket as dont think it looks great just having some cables sticking out of the wall.

So perhaps 20% loss of distance from 40metres i may be able to cope with as i think my main lounge run where quality will matter will be around 20 metres.

Cheers

And Plan B if you end up with no image, sparkles, colour casts or intermittent drop out is ?

I'm sure a 'clean' install is nice - though not half as nice as a working install!

Direct connection is the way to go with HDMI over Twisted pair.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom