a nutty idea, using the computer as an EQ?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by clarkyb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    so, i'm getting some weird bass issues with my subwoofer, and I think I need to EQ out the bass to make a high pass shelf around 35hz

I can do this in software, but the issue is that you can't apply an EQ to a coded digital signal (DTS/DD)
    I could decode in software, EQ and then output to amp as LPCM, but then no nice DTS lights on my receiver
    so I was thinking as I only need to EQ the sub I was initially thinking of sticking a bass guitar eq in between the amp and sub to cut below 35hz, but then thought actually why don't I just route the audio back into the computer via a line in, EQ that signal and output that to the sub?

is this completely mental?

2. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    all I need is a -3db cut at 31.5hz and the problem goes away

I don't really want to have to buy a 31 band hardware EQ for that, and all the smaller EQ units seem to start at 50 or 60hz, obviously too high

because it's the subwoofer I think a tiny bit of latency isn't an issue so i'm still looking for a software solution to this
    but I think decoding EQing and outputting as LPCM is the best idea, what do you think?