A novice seeking advice from you pros!

av_singh

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi people. please can you tell me if the QED silver mirco is worth investing in for the rear surrounds. The reason im lookin at these is because they will be easy to hind behind the skirting boards, plus they are at a fair price of £3.35 p/m. BUT i do not want to compensate for the sound too much. will i be better off sticking to the standard QED silvers? of will these be ok for the rear surrounds?? or should i consider another type within this price range?

thank you.

Hi,

Im from the strictly anti-snake oil camp.

I use cabling from http://www.bluejeanscable.com

Suit every type of function and at affordable prices.

Dont get sold be all the hype, brand names and nice lloking cables. Go for function ie does it carry the full signal etc.

Dont believe me. I changed from £600 interconnects to £50 ones from the above co and i have not noticed a degradation in sound. my system is hi end and i would expect i wopuld notice any problems.

Remember the co is based in the usa and thus there will be vat and imort charge.

Maybe some mark grant?? cables in uk may help as the cabling is by the same manufacturer (Belden i believ). sorry i dont have his website details, im sure sure someone else will have.

cheers

M

QED's Silver Micro is a good cable, we have used it on several installs with great results. Not sure what you mean though when you say "Would I be better off sticking to the standard QED silvers?" QED make the following cables with silver conductors, QED Micro Silver, QED Silver Anniversary, QED Silver Anniversary XT.

What cables are you using for your front speakers, are they silver too?

hi people. please can you tell me if the QED silver mirco is worth investing in for the rear surrounds. The reason im lookin at these is because they will be easy to hind behind the skirting boards, plus they are at a fair price of £3.35 p/m. BUT i do not want to compensate for the sound too much. will i be better off sticking to the standard QED silvers? of will these be ok for the rear surrounds?? or should i consider another type within this price range?

thank you.

QED's Silver Micro is a good cable, we have used it on several installs with great results. Not sure what you mean though when you say "Would I be better off sticking to the standard QED silvers?" QED make the following cables with silver conductors, QED Micro Silver, QED Silver Anniversary, QED Silver Anniversary XT.

What cables are you using for your front speakers, are they silver too?

hi. by "standard QED silvers" i meant the QED silver anniversary ones instead of the micro versions. i am using the silver anniversary at the fronts. however i have just been doing some reading around today and have seen van damme blue series cables on clearlyav.co.uk. £1.80 p/m for 2.5mm and £3.15 p/m for 4mm. they seem very affordable but would you recommend them? thanks.

Go for the Van Damme :D

Go for the Van Damme :D

hey thanks! i take it you're a big fan of them? i will need about 9 metres in length for each speaker. would 2.5mm do or should i go for the 4mm? thinner the better as they will be easier to hide but would there be a big difference in sound quality?

thanks for the advice.

Why not just stick with the same brand? I'm sure there is a minimal sound difference between the micro and non-micro but there may be a bigger one between QED and non-QED, and more so if you go to non-silver content cables.

Why not just stick with the same brand? I'm sure there is a minimal sound difference between the micro and non-micro but there may be a bigger one between QED and non-QED, and more so if you go to non-silver content cables.

hi thanks. i just thought if there was similar quality wires i could use for the rears as at over £5 p/m it would be quite costly because i'd need alot of it. but i have decided to replace the whole lot with the van damm 2.5mm blue series cables. hopefully these should be good enough for the job.

I don't think that that is accurate. About the only important parameter is the cross-sectional area. So varying that would make a difference if it was from too small (like bell-wire) to big enough for the purpose, and that would be true even if the same supplier supplied the different cables. Different 'manufacturers' cables are almost identical in performance once you allow for cross-sectional area, and that includes whether it has silver or not.

Cheers

Greg

^ Agreed. 2.5mm should do the job mate. No need to stick to silver cables. Mixing and matching is not exactly a big no no

IMO silver is not brighter than standard copper, i would be very impressed if someone could tell the difference blind.

Different 'manufacturers' cables are almost identical in performance once you allow for cross-sectional area, and that includes whether it has silver or not.

I think that may well be a rather sweeping statement. If you mean performance as in measureable qualities such as impedance etc. then that may well be the case.
However, surely it's the effect it has on the sound from the amp to the speakers is the important issue here?

what about from binding posts to the woofer and tweeter? and the crossover?

Depends on the speaker... mine has quite high end Dynaudio Ocos internally.

I can tell the difference between silver and copper and between the non shielded version and shielded version of my speaker cable.... even blind tested.

Some say it's snake oil, others can just hear better.... if you can't tell the difference, don't spend the cash, but to leave such a sweeping statement is bordering on ignorant IMO.

its the same both ends really.

Saying it works is a sweeping statement just as much as saying it doesnt work ;)

whats the difference?

its the same both ends really.

Saying it works is a sweeping statement just as much as saying it doesnt work ;)

whats the difference?

I think you'll find he said:

"Some say it's snake oil, others can just hear better.... if you can't tell the difference, don't spend the cash"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom