1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a novice needs some help!! please!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by haven't-a-clue, Oct 17, 2004.

1. haven't-a-clue

haven't-a-clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to all who read this, i am a novice when it comes to hcpc, so looking for some help. i'm thinking of buying a hcpc. i would like to upload all my DVDs onto it and then connect to my amp. my question is do hcpc come with hdmi connections, or would DVi be the better way to go when running the cables between 20-30 feet???

i've also read that hcpc can give better quality than DVD players(????). but do they mean when you play the DVD from the DVD ROM or if you are running the DVD from the harddrive???

also if you can give me some advice on the computer components to use: motherboard, proccessor, RAM, gracifics card, sound card, fans etc....

i'v also heard that the scsi hadrdrive is the best to use( because of its rmp), is this true???

and last but not least, can anyone recommend really good software. i would also like to use the hcpc for normal computer functions, internet, mp3 playing, windows etc...

i know i'v asked alot from you, but any help you can give me on any of the subjects is greatly appriciated, thanks :smashin:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are no graphics cards with HDMI, however DVI cards will connect to HDMI projectors etc. just fine. 7.5m DVI cables are pretty cheap, Lindy's for example are good, however 10m and over is starting to get a bit long and Lindy's 10m have caused problems in the past, you'll need to think about spending somewhat more.

DVD playback is certainly better quality than all but top-end external players and/or signal processors, this quality isn't related to playback method and will be the same from either the DVD driver or a hard-disk rip.

SCSI hard disks are an utter waste of money for an HTPC. :)

Hardware: plenty of choice, any 'entry level' CPU, ie. low-end P4, AMD etc. is fine for DVD playback, things start getting a little more complex if you start getting into HiDef playback, video post-processing etc.

Northwood P4s are preferable to Prescotts because they're cooler, alternatively AMD 64s are clearly also popular. 512Mb of RAM is more than sufficient for most HCPC uses. A Radeon 9600 fanless is a good graphics card for an HCPC, though nVidia 6600s or 6800s have started to become more interesting. Silenx fans are unbeeatable IMHO for silence combined with effectiveness.

Software? Windows Home, TheaterTek DVD player, Winamp (MP3 etc) are good starting points for the 'cinema' bit of HCPC.

Plenty more could be said, I think this is enough to start. :) Browse older threads on here, this is a common sort of question for those new to HCPCs and you'll find many recommendations, often contradictory ;).

HTH

3. haven't-a-clue

haven't-a-clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help robin, i'll keep digging and reading and hopefully create something 'kick-ass'. have a good weekend!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Once you've got some idea of the options you have then you can begin to decide the priorities you have and those areas that need fine-tuning in terms of the equipment you have.

I didn't mention soundcards .. first you need to decide whether you'll use an external receiver or not, then what sort of connection (digital or analog). Once that's decided your choice could be a motherboard with on-board sound or maybe a conventional soundcard like an M-Audio which are popular for their high quality.

Happy hunting, if you need any clarification just ask. :)