A Noticeable Upgrade from Monitor Audio Silver RX Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by discover, Jul 28, 2012.

1. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    At the moment I'm running RX6 fronts, RX Centre and RXFX surrounds with a BK XXLS400 paired with a Yamaha RX-V3067 and the overall sound quality is just superb! Really happy with this set up, could not fault it one bit. If anything, I gotta keep the sub on low just under half way as it's a really noisey bugger.
    The MA Silver RX are probably the best speakers I've ever heard. They're speedy, aggressive, neutrally tonal yet well detailed and very dynamic. Can't fault them at all.

I'm going to be decorating my living room pretty soon and I have a choice of building a 5.1 budget/entry level system there or.... Move my current MA Silver setup downstairs to the living room.

BUT... If I went this way, what 5.1 system should I be looking at that would better the already stunning MA Silver RX series and would be noticeably better?

I ask because I went from a Bose Acoustimass 10 to the Kef KHT3005SE and the upgrade was very noticeable, The Kef system was much better overall. I'd say percentage-wise this gave me roughly a 40% upgrade in sound quality overall. It really was heaps better than the Bose.

I then went from the Kef 3005SE to the MA Silver RX series and allthough this was an obvious physical upgrade, with the Kef system sounding as good as it did the MA Silver RX series probably gave me only 20% upgrade overall in sound quality compared to the Kefs. No doubt these are Better yes, but not by a "massive" difference.

So with the current superb setup, if I wanted to upgrade and "Feel" the difference at say a 40-50% upgrade in sound quality, what sort of setups should I be looking at??

Obviously the most important factor here is Money!!!
    If I said my budget was around the £2.5k-3k for the front 3 and the rears.
    (I'll probably keep the BK sub as it's more than powerful enough)

I've seen some speakers by PMC/Spendor/Dynaudio/Linn etc, but they have so many different ranges it's hard to distinguish what's on par or on a level above the MA RX range I already have.

So if you had my budget and was looking for a real noticeable step up from the RX range what would you go for?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    To get a 40-50% improvement over your RXs you are probably going to have to spend a fair bit more than your current budget. In fact you would probably need to spend your budget, or even more, on just the front pair to gain that kind of improvement. As with everything you start to hit the law of diminishing returns so you have to pay lots more to get an improvement. also to make the most of these kind of speakers then you would need to upgrade the receiver as well (again probably spending at least as much as your total budget at the moment). PMC make great speakers and would be better than your RX. The Fact 8s are amasing but well over budget, as would be the OB/PBs.

3. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,042
    That's a reasonable budget!!
    Have a demo of the KEF R series, my thoughts would be the 500 floorstanders, 200C centre and the R100s as rears. They are fabulous speakers (I'm still hankering a set) and would fit your budget, I think the R500s are £1,500 pr, R200C is £650 and the R100s about £600 pr, all list price.
    Would also match your Yamaha extremely well.

Just remember that the law of diminishing returns comes into play as you move up the ladder.
    Worth it though when you find what you want.

4. Richy1984

Richy1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Have a look at the PMC twenty range. I'm upgrading from monitor audio rx1 to PMc twenty 23. IMO the pmc's are tonnes better.

For your budget you may struggle a little though but 4 x twenty 21 and the twenty centre would come in at around 3k if you get a bit of discount. no idea how well they'd go with your amp though

5. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.
    I know what you mean about the law of diminishing returns. Not sure If I can handle that at this stage.

My setup is mainly 80% used for watching Blu-ray, a little bit of gaming and little bit of music.
    I listen to Trance music so not sure if that genre would do any justice to high end speakers and also the fact that I have the BK sub.

But if I wanted more transparency and further revealing speakers for blu-ray/movies, would the PMC Twenty 21 or 22 give me an edge over the RX fronts I currently have?

There's a pair of used GB1i's and FB1i's used going on ebay lot cheaper than rrp. How would these speakers compare to the MA RX?

6. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Oh forgot to ask: why isn't the Yamaha 3067 enough to power these speakers??

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The 3067 will have enough power to run the PMCs but a better quality receiver (like Arcam) will get more out of the speakers.
    If you can get some FBs for a good price I do not think ou will be disappointed.

8. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The last time I hard an arcam, I think it was the avr400, it sounded really harsh to my ears. I had enough of the demo within 5 minutes. The speakers were B&W not sure which model but it was around this time last year.

Are the PMC FB1i worth £1k used?? Do you think they'll sound much better with blu-ray movies?

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I have the GBs with Arcam and it sounds amasing to my ears (but then again we are all different). The FBs with a suitable centre (TB2c I think) would be great with blurays.

10. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Try the Monitor Audio GX200's as they are a massive upgrade on the RX6's.

11. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Okay I was just weighing up the costs if I were to replace my system and as PSM1 said, it's gonna cost alot more than twice my budget if I was to upgrade to a PMC 5.1 setup.
    I may just have to stick with what I have at the moment. Like I said I am really happy with the setup, I just wanted to know what direction I should be looking "If" I was to upgrade.

quantumAV, thanks for the recommending the GX200. I'll try convice superfi to demo these for me next weekend.

When I initially settled on the RX6, I actually went in to buy the RX8's but when I compared them to the RX6, the RX8's sounded a bit too boomy and "muffled" playing the same content. To my ears the RX6 sounded cleaner and more revealing. It wasn't about the money, I actually had the RX8's on my mind but after hearing both, my ears preferred the sound of the RX6.

12. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Hi 'Discover'

We've found that many people prefer the sound of the RX6 to the RX8, basically because they have a better balanced sound to many ears.

You obviously like the sound of the KEF system, and oif the Monitor Audio didn't bring you large benefits over the KEF one, maybe you prefer the sound of KEF overall?

To improve on the MA system with their own speakers, you would need to be looking at the Gold GX range, which should be quite noticeable, but these will be quite a step up price wise, unless you can pick up some B Grade.

Alternatively, you could look at KEF's R series, which cover a price range as low as the Silver RX and as high as the Gold GX. These will have similar traits to the 3005 system, but vastly improve on them.

Alternatively, the PMC Twenty series will be a good alternative, as they're just as capable with music and movies as the KEF R series is. They're quite different though, so a demo of these two ranges is highly recommended.

13. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks for the input Dav1dF, much appreciated.
    The Kef 3005SE system I had was pretty good. The MA silver RX system sounded even better than the Kef's but not "twice as good", as the price suggested. Overall I like the sound from the MA RX range but as always I felt like I wanted a newer/fresher sound - Just an excuse to try something new I suppose.

I've been looking up on the PMC Twenty series. They look very nice and well built. Everything I've read about them was nothing but positive praise.
    I'm yet to listen to these yet though, I'm gonna try and get down to sevenoaks at the weekend to get a proper demo.
    For home cinema use (mainly movies) would the Twenty series sound more revealing than the DB1i's? I've seen a few of these EX-demo going for around the £700 mark.
    Could I have Twenty.21's at the front and DB1i's at the back?

What I really want to know about is amplification!!! So a few people have said that my current Yamaha RX-V3067 won't get the best out of the PMC speakers? If this is the case, (without spending too much) what would be a suitable multi-channel AVR to get the best out of the PMC's?
    I appreciate PSM1 recommending Arcam but when I heard the AVR400 it sounded really bright and almost harsh to my ears.
    Is there anything else out there that would suit the PMC's for multichannel use as I mainly use my home cinema for watching Blu-rays and not so much for music.

Finally, if anyone doesn't mind taking out a moment to clear this up for me: What exact benefits would a pre/power amp give to my existing system and also what about an external DAC?
    I'm not too clued up on the audio side of things like you guys on here but I would appreciate if someone could break it down in laymans terms for me so I get a clearer picturer.
    Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

14. Fiearce

Fiearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In essence, either of those equipment provides more power to the speakers (with a preamp costing far less to being more flexible in connectivity), thus the speaker will sound better.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks mate. Any recommendations?

16. Fiearce

Fiearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Edit: Providing that your Yamaha RX-V3067 has pre outs, a preamp is an option to consider against an AV receiver. However, an AV receiver offers a lot more than a preamp. If you don't feel the need to change your AV receiver, then the best route is to add power amplification.

How much do you want to spend?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  17. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Well I don't even know what I'm looking for to tell you the truth.
    How much would a decent pre-amp cost?

My mate has some older Rotel pre/power amps from about 5 or 6 years ago which he isn't using.
    What sorta brands should I be looking at and what's the going rate for a substantial one that's enough to power my speakers.
    Doesn't have to be all singing and dancing.

18. Fiearce

Fiearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For £480 the Rega Brio-R is a fine sounding amp. The Roksan Kandy K2 is well worth a look too at £795. While the amp costs more, in general it's regarded as a great performer. Both amps will do your speakers justice.

Up to on the amount you want to spend. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  19. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks alot Fiearce, I'll look into these.
    My friend with the rotel pre/power amps says all I need is a power amp as it will drive and get the best out my speakers? He says I can use my yamaha 3067 as a processor?

20. Fiearce

Fiearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, he's correct about the Yamaha. You can for certain use your AV receiver to process.

21. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    The Twenty range and the i-Series are quite different tonally, so I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching them.

The Twenty series are quite easy to drive, and although a batter receiver will get more from them, the 3067 will do the job fine.

We can all make recommendations based on our experiences, but ultimately, a demo should be sought by anyone looking to invest serious money into any product.

22. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Before purchasing my latest gear, I demo'd the MA RX series against the GX series - there was a significantly noticeable difference and I immediately switched gears and saved up extra funds to buy the GX. They are offer amazing levels of detail (to my ears) and are really nicely balanced. I partnered them up with an Arcam receiver. I suspect that if you moved over to an Arcam and upped to the GX series, then you'll really notice it... but your budget isn't going to cut it.

If you are happy with what you have now... why not keep hold of that 2-3k and put it towards a future upgrade when a few more models have come and gone. The RX series is not that old yet.

23. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Upgrade your front three to GX and retain the RXFX as rears together with your sub.

24. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Maybe save up and get the Platinums?

25. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks for all the support guys.
    I've taken in all the advice and might need a few nights to sleep on it!