A night under the stars...

LeeroyB

Novice Member
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are going to Egypt at the end of September and one of the things on our itinerary is spending a night camping under the stars in a desert. I imagine the sky will be a blanket full of stars and wondered whether it's possible to capture any good photos using just my 400D, a tripod and one of my 3 lenses (kit lens, 50mm and 55-250mm) plus a yet to be purchased flash?

From past experience I seem to be pretty rubbish with night photos so god knows how I'd get on with trying to capture something a million miles away!

Thanks in advance.
Lee.

Goody

I would suggest the 50mm wide open would be the best bet to minimise the exposure. You should get some good shots.

Maybe try 30 seconds at f1.8, 100 ISO and see how it looks and take it from there. If you take too long an exposure you will get star trails as it will pick up the movement of the Earth.

loz

The key thing is to keep your camera absolutely still
Use a remote or self-timer to trigger the shot so you don't move it even slightly.

Knowing the Egyptians, you will probably require a photo permit to even take a shot of the sky... :)

LeeroyB

Novice Member
I would suggest the 50mm wide open would be the best bet to minimise the exposure. You should get some good shots.

Maybe try 30 seconds at f1.8, 100 ISO and see how it looks and take it from there. If you take too long an exposure you will get star trails as it will pick up the movement of the Earth.
That's brilliant, thank you very much. You have saved me the embarrassment of asking for suggested settings!

LeeroyB

Novice Member
The key thing is to keep your camera absolutely still
Use a remote or self-timer to trigger the shot so you don't move it even slightly.

Knowing the Egyptians, you will probably require a photo permit to even take a shot of the sky... :)
Ha, yes, someone is bound to ask for baksheesh for something!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom