1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Newbie with lots of Q's :-)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello all in AV land.

I hope everyone is well. I have only joined this forum in the past few days, but have been into Home Cinema and PC's etc for a long time. I currently have a number questions and I hope that you can spare some time and share you knowledge with me.:D

Firstly I will describe my current setup.

Toshiba 36" widescreen TV (non prog scan:( )
    Yamaha AV amplifier
    Philips DVDR1000 Mk1
    Rotel stereo equipment
    Full Monitor audio surround sound with REL Quake sub.
    PC: P4 2.2Ghz, Geforce 4 4200, 512 MB DDR RAM, 40 gig HD, Built in sound and TDK Cyclone CD Wrtier. The PC is cased in a Shuttle XPC, the SS51g.

I have recently purchased the Monitor Audio, Rotel and REL equipment, and am very happy with my Stereo and Cinema sound. I now feel that it is time to upgrade my picture to match. I have always wanted a projector but feel that it has recently become a viable option (ie price etc) and am looking at buying one. Firstly I need to sort out a good DVD source for this. I very much want PAL and NTSC Progressive Scan, as I believe this is a big step up from normal video reproduction????? To get this I will either buy a new DVD player such as the ARCAM dv88+ or upgrade my PC to a HTPC. This is where the confusion sets in. How good a picture can a HTPC produce??? Would I be expecting too much for it to compete with a £1000 DVD player?? Another thing is what sound hardware is required to extract the DD or DTS soundtrack from the DVD? My PC has optical digital outputs, will send the relevant signals to my AV amp?? From looking at my PC spec, what would need to be purchased to make it top quality HTPC apart from a DVD drive?? What DVD drives are recommended??

I think that is all the questions I currently have. All replies are very much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

BTW I only want the PC for DVD playback.:D

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No answer to the above, but I have had to delete you post in video games Re: xbox gamer tag please post again if you want to but this time just the tag thanks

Taz.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    HTPC basic /solid spec

any decent DVD player should be ok
    ATI card Radeon Card for best Picture quality
    Use either ATi softwareplayer or Theatertek for dvd player (zoom player is very good )
    If onboard sound has a spdif output should be ok , if not disable and get either a basic 5.1 creative or better depending on how much you want to spend

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the info, anyone else???

Cheers

Rob

5. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This has been covered many times before... but my take on it is as follows -

I personnally think the first major question should be.. how proficient are you at tinkering with software?, followed closely by how WAF (wife acceptance factor) compliant does the system need to be (ease of use)... I have spent many hours in girder and prontedit, just trying to reach a point where I can do without the keyboard for 90% of activities...

If you do go for the PC, keep it simple, plan and only add very specific peices of software, the more you add the more likely you are to have hassle.... IMO... you will be surprised just how many pieces of software is required, they you start looking for software to hide the mouse cursor after 2 seconds, hide the task bar, customer resolutions... etc etc etc...

If you can put up with the hassle and the odd strange thing happening, then the picture quality to a projector is very worthwhile, IMO not worth it to a TV, sound is very acceptable to me for DVD's, but not music...

I personnally enjoy the hassle... everyone to their own... but thats why we hang out here and tweak everything to nth degree....

Cheers
    Paul.