1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A newbie question

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jerry, Jun 19, 2005.

1. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a DVD recorder but I am not impressed it was a phillips and I,ve had problems. The simplicity of Sky+ appeals and lots of people at work tell me how easy it is . My question is presumably you can buy the Sky+ digibox or its equivalent plug in my terrestrial digibox and it will do exactly the same without involving Sky at all?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,245
    Without paying a Sky+ subscription none of the recording features will work on the Sky+ box, making it just like a normal plain digibox.

3. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks,I see what you mean can you then receive the Sky digital signal without their box?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    To receive any broadcast on satellite you need a dish (a freeview box and aerial won't work) and a STB with a digital sat tuner and then some channels are encrypted such as ITV2, CH4 and Five so you would also need a £20 smartcard to go into your SKY digibox. A "normal" digital satellite set top box will allow you to watch the un-encrypted channels but the only big player in the UK is the BBC and without the other channels it's isn't very practical for the average viewer.
    You can buy the SKY hardware and have it installed without dealing with SKY but the SKY+ service is subscription based so you have to sign up and pay SKY.

If you want to record Freeview/DTT then the alternative to a HD/DVD type recorder is one of the dual tuner HD equipped Freeview boxes which incorporate two tuners allowing you yo watch one program and record another as well as giving you an EPG to setup programs in advance (like SKY+ does), these are subscription free. There are some models with a single tuner and since you already have a freeview box then one of them may just be as useful.
    Both SKY+ and these DTT equivalents only record from their internal digital tuners so you can not plug in an existing digital source.

5. jerry

jerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Starburst. Iv,e been browsing this and Digital Spy forums and basically for Sky+; Avoid a weekend install you will likely get a "subbie". Specify a Pace receiver. Ask the installer not to clip phone attachment to skirting and then remove it when he has gone. Make sure he does the latest download. Ask him about any holes in plastic windows before he starts. Can anyone add to this?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes....

1. You can't specify a make of box. Even if the Sky rep tells you different. Sometimes they will tell you that you'll get a certain make of box to get rid of you. You will get whatever the installer has on his van.

2. Under the Terms and Conditions for a subsidised box, you agree to connect it to the phone line for a year. If you don't do that, Sky could nag you about it, and they are within their rights to charge you the full unsubsidised price. Sky know that the box isn't connected, because they tell it to "phone home" occasionally. Some people have got away with it - some haven't - it's your risk.