Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

A newbie... problem with s-video cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kevon45uk, Aug 14, 2004.

1. kevon45uk

kevon45uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I'm trying to get my videos on pc to play through my telly. I just took delivery of a s-video cable. Plugged it into a scart plug. Switched to input and on the tv I can get a black & white representation of the computer screen but when I try to play stuff through a player (Ace media and DivX) there is no picture at all. My scart plug has sockets for video and audio as well as the s-video plug but my graphics card has only s-video. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the AV channel on the telly. Only one scart socket.

Cheers

Kevon45uk

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    sounds like TV is not S-video compatible, comon problem with basic TV's see if you can set graphics card to composite output

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Have a look in the picture setup menu on the TV as you may have the option to set the scart socket to s-video as it may be defaulting to composite

4. kevon45uk

kevon45uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a feeling it may be something to do with the video card. Also I'll try the TV menu (thanks Ian J). Don't know how to get to the card. It's NVidia GeForce 5200. On Windows XP. I'll scout around and see if I can find it. Any ideas please tell me. :)

5. andi

andi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your TV has a s-video input right? You should use a s-video to s-video cable, and forget about s-video to scart. You'll also need a 3.5mm jack to 2xPhono lead for the sound (as S-video cables only carry the video signal). This cable will plug into your line-out or headphone out on your PC and into the audio inputs on the tv next to the s-video input.

Also, the way movies work on PCs is through some overlay stuff. So, basically, you can't drive two monitors with a DivX. Right click on the desktop, hit properties. click Settings, select monitor 2 and choose "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor". You may find clicking on Advanced will allow you to change the composite/s-video setting mentioned earlier.