A New York Winter's Tale Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by hodg100, Feb 26, 2014.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      Steve Withers reviews A New York Winter's Tale, Akiva Goldsman's film version of Mark Helprin's popular novel and discovers that as much as he might love the book, perhaps it really was unfilmable.

A New York Winter's Tale Review | AVForums

2. QuestShield

QuestShield
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,181
      Colin Farrell needs to sack his agent.

3. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,111
      I saw this last night too.

Ooh this was sumptuous, beautiful, with pretty stars, Russell Crowe, Gandalf's white horse, Shadowfax, lots of laughs..and a "what the hell is HE doing in this movie" cameo.

But there is something else, just as Steve review implies, it was also a bloody bad movie.

Yeah, those laughs I mentioned were the unintentional kind. Yet, its a strangely likeable film if that makes any sense which probably doesn't but at least I'm reflecting the film which doesn't make much sense either.

As the credits rolled, I sat there wondering what the bloody hell did I just watch. Yet, I actually enjoyed much of it.

Its just so hilariously earnest that I couldn't help find it sweet in a sympathetic way. The story is so nonsensical that it defies belief but there is a strange charm to it all. Russell Crowe is the most unintentionally hilarious villain I've seen in years, I would watch this movie again just for that. Keep this up, he will soon be replacing my favourite Nicolas Cage bad movies fetish. And then there is that absurd big star Cameo...what the hell?!? Awesomely stupid!

There appears to be a very grand, albeit ridiculously fanciful story in here which I'm sure was superb as a novel but it seems to me that the filmmakers decided to just string together the "highlights" and hope for the best in two hours.

I like Colin Farrel and also his romantic interest, whom I recognise from Downtown Abbey. There is a sweet chemistry between them and I enjoyed that, particularly their first meet. In fact, the first half of the movie was good fun with just a little dose of unintentional hilarity but then that little dose becomes a humongous dose in the second half where everything falls apart in a spectacularly and hilariously absurd way.

In all honesty, I had not seen any trailers or reviews. A virtue that I am recently proud of myself in avoiding trailers and reviews for any film as I am most definitely reaping the rewards. I thought this was going to be a period love story, so it was a giddying surprise when certain fantasy elements came into play, right from the start. I love those wtf surprises which wouldn't be surprises had I watch any trailers.

So how can I wrap up this poor little mentally ill animal with vultures circling around it? Well, it was ridiculously nonsensical yet I loved what it tries to be. I love its effort but I also pity it because boy is this film asking to be ridiculed by critics, Steve Withers in fact has been surprisingly relatively kind to it! There is so much material in this film for reviewers to have a whale of a time taking the piss.

5.5/10

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014