A new wireless card?, or HomePlugs?

jinder

Hwy good folk of this section at AVForums :D

As the thread title.

The reason is that My PC has moved, and the wireless dongle that I use isn't picking up the signal as much as it used to from where it is now. Hence I get slow web pages loading and slow downloads.

So the question is, Do I get a wireless card, that can pick up more range?

Or HomePlugs?

In any case, can somebody reccomend me one or the other? and whihch one would be best to get?

If it helps, I have a "N" wireless router.

Thank you for reading. :)

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Easy. HomePlugs every time. The WiFi spectrum is getting so crowded now that WiFi is getting more unreliable on a daily basis.

chrisuk01

I would agree.

Get homeplugs, expecially if your current wirless is N. As a short term solution, have you tried changing your wireless channel to see if that helps.

Though going forwards homeplugs or wire your house :)

Habanos

I agree, go with Homeplugs. I find them more reliable (currently getting 80Mbps between floors), as has everyone whom I have recommended them to.

Unless your n network supports 5.4GHz (dual band) in which case things aren't too bad yet, other than the lack of equipment due to manufacturers going down the cheap 2.4GHz 802.11n route.

jinder

^^I don't really get that second bit but yeah, it confused me lol.

Okay so homeplugs it is. Are there differentg types I can get? Different brands?

What would be the best? Just need one for the PC. Router on bottom floor, PC on 3rd/loft.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Okay so homeplugs it is. Are there differentg types I can get? Different brands?
HomePlugs come in differint flavours (14 mb/e, 85 mb/s 200AV) but each type will interoperate even if they are from different brands.

85 mb/s HomePlugs are adequate for nearly all applications, including what you wish to do. 200AVs are only really needed if you wish to stream HD video across your LAN.

WARNING - not all power-line adapters are HomePlugs! Look for HomePlug on the box.

Last edited:

jinder

Thanks for the info and help :).

Can you link me to a cheap set please? 85mb/s.

I don't stream HD or anything at all, lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom