A new TV is required but unsure which would be best

titch411

Novice Member
Hello and thanks to anyone who can provide me with a little clarity.

I have had my current 4k TV for about 8 years ( I think) and looking on grabbing a new one. It's starting to get dead pixels and well it does not have HDR on it.

I will be mainly using it for gaming on my PS5/XSX.

I have had a look at the following two and was thinking between then two of them. I'm sure with the age of my TV either will look great over my current one.

LG Nanocell 55NANO966PA 55" Smart 8K Ultra HD TV

LG OLED55C14LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD OLED TV

but of course if anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear them

Dodgexander

The OLED is really in a different class from their LCD TVs and the number one popular choice for gamers.
If you wanted to go for an LCD TV instead; say for example because you are fearful of burn in a better alternative would be Samsung's QN94A or QN95A.

titch411

Novice Member
The OLED is really in a different class from their LCD TVs and the number one popular choice for gamers.
If you wanted to go for an LCD TV instead; say for example because you are fearful of burn in a better alternative would be Samsung's QN94A or QN95A.
Yeah I have heard some things about Oled burn in. I'm a bit hesitant about it but at the same time all I see is get an OLED wherever I really look. I've never had it before myself but I do okay a number of games which have HUDS there mainly FF XIV so was thinking that may be an issue down the line.

Dodgexander

It's not neccesarily games themselves that pose a risk. Like video, games may or may not have bright static huds, elements etc and the time they actually are displaying on the screen can be different.

I'd say to worry about burn if you are going to clock a lot of hours on the TV playing games with static elements. Not sure if Final Fantasy has elements that are bright, coloured and always in the same place or not but an example of two high risk games would be FIFA or Football manager.

An example of a low risk game would be something like Call of Duty - it has huds, but they are not brightly coloured and they are not always on the screen all the time.

Your gaming habits matter too, if you're gaming 20h a week playing the same high risk game you may not get 5 years before you start to see problems but if you game only 10h a week the TV can last twice as long.

titch411

Novice Member
It's not neccesarily games themselves that pose a risk. Like video, games may or may not have bright static huds, elements etc and the time they actually are displaying on the screen can be different.

I'd say to worry about burn if you are going to clock a lot of hours on the TV playing games with static elements. Not sure if Final Fantasy has elements that are bright, coloured and always in the same place or not but an example of two high risk games would be FIFA or Football manager.

An example of a low risk game would be something like Call of Duty - it has huds, but they are not brightly coloured and they are not always on the screen all the time.

Your gaming habits matter too, if you're gaming 20h a week playing the same high risk game you may not get 5 years before you start to see problems but if you game only 10h a week the TV can last twice as long.
So yeah i would say it is a high risk game. It all depends really day to day can be different. But thanks for the info. Thinking the OLED may be the better choice after looking through them id say

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom