1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New TV For The New Year

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mark67, Dec 27, 2003.

1. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at getting a new TV in the next couple of weeks and would like to know if you could recommend some that are worth considering.

Budget is £1500.

Size 32”

And Widescreen.

I have been considering the new Panasonic TX32PD30 but some user opinions on other websites have been very negative.
    What are your thoughts?
    Also are there any TV review websites I could browse to help me make up a short list.

Anyhow if you could let me know of a TV that you think is worth considering, please let me know.

Cheers

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The new Sony KV32NX300 could be worth looking at, although it's launch has been delayed, so it might not be available for a couple of months or so. It's the first UK set to be released with a "Fine Pitch" Trinitron tube, which is a feature of Sony's top range XBR sets in America, so it's unlikely that this sets' performance will dissappoint. The drawback is that Sony still won't include progressive capable component inputs, which will limit this tv's appeal to many informed buyers.

Panasonic, JVC and Toshiba all produce great sets that allow connection of a progressive signal and produce great pictures, but the problem, which you've no doubt read about on this forum, is that many sets from these manufacturers (and all the others for that matter) have their share of problems.

Whether you get a set you're happy with seems to depend on a combination of luck (wide sample to sample variance means some buyers get a good set first time, while others have to go through two or three sets until they can find one with minimal problems) and your own tolerence levels (some problems with these sets will be considered very minor to some people, while others will find them intolerable).

The Loewe range is very good and is well worth looking at, although they are prone to a slight moire effect when displaying NTSC sources (there are ways to minimise this) although this won't be an issue if you watch mainly region 2 dvds.

Keeping the above in mind, if I was buying a 32" inch CRT with a £1500 budget, I would be looking at:

The Sony range with DRC processing (NX200, NX300 or the FQ80).

Loewe Aconda (although there are other excellent Loewe sets for much less than £1500).

The Panasonic PD30 or the Toshiba PF2 (and keep my fingers crossed that I got a good one).

Also keep in mind that some of the above sets can be bought for quite a bit less than £1500.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews you read on tv's in the UK a/v magazines as they're very basic and give the impression they have been written by people who don't know very much about the equipment they're reviewing. There doesn't seem to be a quality resourse in the UK for television reviews.

Cheers.