A new subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ArchieK, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ArchieK

ArchieK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We moved to a new house just over a year ago and have found our REL Storm struggling in the new lounge. The size of the room is almost 27 feet by 12 feet with a wooden floor.

Initially our thoughts turned to the larger RELs - Stentor or Studio as we have been very happy with the Storm and assumed a bigger brother was the way to go. We listen to a lot of music from rock, opera, classical, vocal through to organ music - hence bottom end power with accuaracy is very important. We also have a sizeable DVD collection. Our speaker set up is Linn Aktiv - the front speakers being Linn AV 5140's - they are quoted as rolling down to the 30 Hz mark in aktiv guise.

I am intrigued with the references here to SVS - a make I confess to being totally unaware of till now. The references by some posters to things having moved on and REL not being in the position they once were also piqued my interest. If we can get the performance we're after for less money than a Stentor or Studio then great.

Any thoughts on models which might fit the bill?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I moved up from a REL Storm to the SVS 20-39 PC Plus which is a cylindrical sub that is no longer available in Europe.

The SVS PB-12 Plus is a traditionally shaped box sub that contains the same innards as my cylinder and is reckoned to sound similar. Have a look in the subwoofer powerbuy forum as not only is it cheaper than the Storm but it also punches harder and deeper with much less audible distortion.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi Archie....I had used one of the smaller RELs for a while(a Q201E) before changing as the system progressed,and have also used active Linn systems over the years.

In active form,most of the Linn range do deliver improved bass performance due to a degree of bass EQ and improved efficiency due to the lack of a passive x-over.

My own findings with the REL was that it really didnt deliver deep bass in the room it was sited in(and certainly didnt get anywhere near the Keltik active system I had previously)so I did quite a bit of shopping around by looking at B&W,M&K and a few others before taking a bit of a plunge and buying an SVS PC-Ultra(no longer obtainable here since SVS now market via a distributor in the UK)but I can honestly say I'm very pleased with it.

It does very well in keeping up with the music end of my system(Quad ESLs and WAD 300B amps) and also performs very well on the AV side of things,by going as deep as the Keltiks did(down to 20Hz and beyond,flat).

As well as SVS,you should also look at equivalent models from REL,B&W,M&K and Velodyne....each has their own strengths and weaknesses,and where one may suit a particular system and room,another may not.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Archie

Alas you are denied the cheap option of the 16-46 cylinder SVS models tuned to 16Hz. (I'm a classical organ fan too which is why I bought the big cylinder) The tubular form seemed in sympathy with the big pipes of an organ.

However you could tune any of the bigger SVS boxes to 16Hz simply by fitting one supplied port plug.

My humble PCi offers an effortless 110dB performance and sub 15Hz extension in a larger area than yours spread over two floors. Which suggests that you simply cannot fail to be impressed by the PB12 Plus with one port plugged. I doubt anything comes close for the rather nominal sum involved.

We both have the advantage of large room boundary gain. If only we feed the room with suitable frequencies at levels that can be used. It certainly works for me.

Downside is the large size of these SVS units. But a larger room can absorb such furniture without effort compared with smaller spaces.

5. ArchieK

ArchieK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much guys for your input - it is much appreciated.

Can the PB12-Plus2 go down to 15Hz? The literature suggests around 20Kh. I confess I assumed our Storm was going down to 18Hz because it's rated at that. Some other posts here suggest otherwise;)

I'm a bit lost Nimby in your reference to plugs. Does the woofer come with these or do you buy them as an extra from the dealer?

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
  7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that the Plus/2 would go down to 15Hz in room as mine goes almost that low and it's only got the single Plus driver. I'm not sure that my Storm went anywhere near 18Hz but the lower frequencies contained a high degree of audible distortion anyway. Incidentally you can't hear frequencies that low but feel them instead.

The PC Plus range has three ports and is tuned to 20Hz as standard. It will also come with port blockers in the form of foam bungs and if you insert one into a port it will retune the sub to 16Hz and with both bungs inserted it will be tuned to 12Hz.

Most people seem to block one port and tune to 16Hz as that gives the best compromise between depth and output.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I wish somebody would explain why I can't see these images.

All I get is an "Attached Thumbnails" label on the post. :rolleyes:

9. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    When you click the link check that you are still logged in. When I do an "open in new tab" it logs me out.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Nope it's not that. I get no response from the "Attached thumnails" label at all.

I just checked.. it's Mozilla (again).

I logged in again in IE and I could see this huge box! :D

Three huge boxes in fact! :devil:

EDIT: Sorry to interrupt the thread. :blush:

11. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Do you have a firewall on your computer? My ZoneAlarm firewall blocks attachments in firefox. I had to allow AVForums.com in my privacy section and everything works fine now.

HTH

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Thanks but it's not that either.
    I have avforums set to a full set of green ticks.
    Still no images. :thumbsdow

13. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby :-

What version Mozilla are you using ?
    What OS ?
    Are you using ZoneAlarm (or another) ... and if so, what version ?

FWIW, I use Mozilla 1.5.0.1 & Windows XP and had the same problem you described until I reconfigured ZoneAlarm (as also reported by dj_ooms) to enable "Banner / Skyscraper" ads (in the Ad Blocking / Privacy settings).

Note :- in configuring ZoneAlarm it was not enough to just have "all green ticks". I had to :-
    - Left-click on the line showing www.avforums.com (to highlight/select it)
    - Right-click on this line
    - This produces two choices (Remove & Options)
    - Choosing Options gives a dialog box with three tabbed sections (Cookies, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code)
    - Within the "Ad Blocking" choice, untick the "Ads to block" tick box for "Banner/Skyscraper ads"

HTH

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Thankyou! That worked! :)

I can now see the huge boxes using Mozilla! :smashin:

PS. Why has he placed his new cylinder in front of the telly?

I know you are supposed to have the sub betwen the speakers but this is taking it a bit literally!

15. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby - you're welcome !
    I've learnt so much about this whole AV game by reading posts by you and the other experienced members, so I'm glad I could contribute in a small way.

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Thankyou. :)

You have probably solved my baffling image viewing problems across a number of forums and newsgroups.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Regards
    Nimby