1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New PW 7 owner !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Davidgilmour, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

PW7 arrived today, 2.200 euros, thats 1500 quid for the 37 inch PW7 + tuner. It's more expensive than you guys are getting it from the UK but I did not want to order one in the UK because of guarantee hassle and shipping hassle. So I think the price is ok.

I've installed it , took a while and my first impression is one of disappointment, I am not happy with the PQ. When I get close to the screen there is A LOT of noise.

When I looked at a Fujitsu VHA 30 last year which had a direct COMPONENT dvd connected it was the first time that I was impressed with PQ of a Plasma. I found out that it was not basically that the Fujitsu was so much better than the competitor, because the HHA 30 and the Pioneer 434 looked like rubbish next to it, because they had the same signal shared through something else, not component.

Please tell me that if I order the component board and connect it directly to my dvd player ( component , but no progressive scan ) that the PQ will be MUCH better, i.e. that when I get close to the screen I will still see a lot of detail. Because the PQ I have now is the same PQ as the Plasma's I see when they are connected in the Richer Sounds, i.e. 20 plasma's using the same signal.

Cheers,

David

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Daid,

The tuner box is almost certainly your problem. DVD into a component board will put things right (and an ISF calibration would be the icing on the cake - I am guessing, but are you in Ireland by any chance?? - an ISF tour of Ireland is getting more likely by the day!).

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    als o what settings are you using? and how close is close? from less than 30cm you will see the cell structure!!!

4. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I got the 42 + tuner from avsales for 2200 delivered to dublin , straight out of the box I got a top notch pic , just have to set it to cinema for the first 200 hours , the tuner box isnt perfect by any means but im happy enough with it , just annoyed that with it you lose picture in picture and the ability to resize H & V ( some games dont go right to the edge of the screen)

Other than that ive no complaints !

5. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yeah, very close to the screen, but when I saw the Fujitsu it was so perfect, couldn't see any ceel structure !
    I hope the component will help :)

6. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    why look at the screen that close................................any plasma will show artefacts if you stand right in front of it....................8 ft or more is your normal viewing distance.

but the component connection and or direct VGA will make a difference over the tuner IMO.

cheers, tam

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VHA30 has exact same glass..Panny 42" SD glass the HHA is ALIS which has a much finer structure also the Fujitsu is a pemmium product dont expect the Panny to be as good......willstill be very good!

8. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    could it be that what I saw then on the fujitsu was not only component but also progressive scan ? It looked so much more detailed !

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    very hard to guess why i was better but i sggest (your in belgium correct?) you book that Dutch ISF guy who was doing an ISF tour at €150!!!!!!

10. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Problem solved ! I went to this bitg outlet store, bought me 13 pounds component cables and a 65 pound pioneer DVD player. Plugged it in, screen quality was the same, went to the menu, put Progressive Scan ON and there it was , The Great Sharp Picture , even through a cheap 65 quid dvd player and 13 pound 5 meter component cable.

PS is the solution, it's awesome, even thru the Media Box! Will it even get better through the direct component board ? Really ?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes even better!!!!