1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New Plasma Purchase Please Help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marah, Jan 12, 2004.

1. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok loads of you have given good advice etc with my failed techwood so I have decided to not give up but to look at other prospects these include

Relisys RP4205S (with Tuner) £2000
    HYUNDAI HPT-4240 £2000
    LG MZ42PZ43 £2300
    Hitachi PMA400 £2500
    Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Which comes with a Scart board and Quintro £2800

Whats the best?
    What will I need to add?
    Pros and Cons of all?
    Anyone had contour lines appear on any of these?(will try and get a picture of the one I have to let you guys see.
    Any other suggestions.

Don't really want to go over £3000 if I can help it. So if you have seen a better deal let me know.

Thanks

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Marah,

Do a search as this type of question has been asked quite a bit before.

Summary => PWD6 is probs the way to go, but will probs cost the most...although it is worth it when compared to the others you list...

Nexnix are doing the PWD6 for £2526.25 inc VAT and wall bracket/basic input cards...who knows maybe av-sales will match this?

www.nexnix.co.uk
    www.av-sales.co.uk

JJ

3. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Depends on what you find more important in picture quality.

Panasonic has the best blacks of all (darker) giving a great picture, however it is a low res screen only 852 x 480 pixels. The 852 is not really a problem but the 480 is less than what is required to see PAL properly, you need at least 576 pixels for that. Also some people can see flicker on these screens (me included) if you do see it then I'm sure you won't want this screen.

The Hitachi has good blacks but not as good as the Panasonic but it is a Hi res screen 1024 x 1024. It uses ALiS technology which is a kind of interlaced and not progressive scan, however don't that this alone put you off, the picture quality really is very very good.

The other three I don't know much about and feel you should look at both the Panasonic and Hitachi. The Hitachi you can get for £2400 now as a new model has just come out (might be worth looking at that too).

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you can possibly run to a japanese rather than Korean, I'm sure you'd be much happier. Harvey here thinks I don't like Hitachis, but that's only cos he hasn't read my posts on Techwood, LG, hyundai etc.

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You're right I haven't read that thread, must go and have a look at it. I know you are not anti Hitachi but certainly prefer Japanese progresive screens. I am certainly impressed with the Panasonic black levels really adds to the overall picture quality. Maybe if I saw a properly setup high res progressive screen from panasonic or Pinoeer I might change my mind about the Hitachi, however everytime I feed my 400E a good picture it really is superb (also good with SKY+ too). The important thing is to be happy with your purchase, for that I count myself lucky (no dead pixels, no flicker, not drop outs, no picture streaking,no/little buzz and quiet fan) :smoke:

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the 5000 out in the UK now, I can't see any websites listing it ?

Any idea of price ?

If it is being sold in the UK for a decent price, I will know that there is a God and Jesus be thy name, haallllellljjjjjjjuuuaaa :rotfl:

:clap: