A New Monster On The Way!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Eitzel, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +146
  2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    $5999 :suicide: ...

3. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yes. Be afraid. Very afraid!

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    When I was looking for a way to switch HDMI output, $6000 wasn't exactly what I had in mind. :)

Nice, though.

Regards

Mark

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Sounds like the bar is about to be raised.

I just wonder if they will get this to market before they finally get round to implementing HD film mode in the VisionHDP.

Nick

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Some interesting additional information from Lumagen already:

There will be no internal SD/HD SDI inputs. These are considered increasingly unimportant and of little benefit to quality, so will only be made available with an optinal external box.

There are no analogue outputs. (Gasp) CRT users will be able to get an optional external DAC unit to go with their projector. Which will presumably convert HDMI to RGBHV and defeat HDCP!

They have almost doubled the FPGA power of the VisionHDP, notwithstanding the Realta HQV processor, and are simply out to make the best processor. Period.

Inverse telecine de-interlacing at HD will still be implemented with the VisionHDP. They acknowledge delays in availabilty of this important upgrade, but still seem to be confident that beta models of the Radiance XT will be available in 06Q1, and production units in 06Q2.

Lumagen will be offering a trade-in programme for existing users, but only in the US.

Does timing of this announcement suggest they are trying to get people hold off from ordering a Crystallio II? That will be a mouthwatering prospect.

Nick

7. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I wonder if Gordon could explain what JRP meant when he spoke of

and

Does that mean, Gordon, for us CRT owners wanting HD-SDI inputs and analogue outputs, I will need 2 extra boxes for this thing?

I also wonder what the trade up will be for my ProHDP. Damn this Home Cinema thing is an expensive business.

Regards

Martin

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Yes, I think Jim Peterson was indeed explicitly stating in the AVS that you would need two additional optional-extra boxes. That makes it even more expensive for people like yourself who they perceive to be in the minority, but better value for the majority who will presumably just be using HDMI interfaces. Bit of a shame considering that one of the advantages of the VisionHDP was it's great versatility with it's interfaces.

Nick

9. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, having the DAC next to your CRT rather than long analogue cable runs will give you better picture quality so there is always that side of things.

For those thinking that the DAC will be able to convert HDCP material, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Ain't going to happen.

When I first read the price my mouth hit the floor. I wonder how it'll compare to the Crystalio II...

10. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The extra boxes needed in itself doesn't bother me. What the cost of the unit will be with them does.

Martin

11. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    All of the scaler manufacturers rigidly adhere to the terms of HDCP licence that requires them to disable analogue outputs when the DVI/HDCP input, and hence output, is encrypted. There are a few products available that will strip HDCP from HDMI, or convert to analogue. But these are, lets say, "working beyond the legal framework of the HDCP licence".

It's difficult to imagine that a company like Lumagen would put themselves in that position, but that appears to be what they are suggesting. They are proposing to offer an external DAC that will convert their processor's HDMI output to (presumably) RGBHV for a projector. I dare say that many plasma users would benefit from that, too, though Radiance XT owners are unlikely to have old displays.

However, the processor will inevitably be used to take an HD input from SkyHD, HD-DVD, or whatever, which is likely to be HDCP encrypted. That means that the only video source for the external DAC will necessarily be industry standard HDCP encrypted HDMI. The envisaged normal mode of operation of the DAC must therefore be to remove HDCP and output "clean" RGB.

That has to be what they are suggesting. Whether they will produce a box that anyone can use with a Blu-Ray player is another matter. My guess is they will need some sort of additional proprietary interface to the DAC that will prevent you from using it with anything but the Radiance. You would still end up with a clean hi-def RGB output, which you can do whatever you want with, though.

Hmmmm, interesting.

12. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I see your logic Nick. Unless the Radiance knows it has an external DAC downstream, it will be outputting a HDCP encrypted signal. Then the only possible purpose of the DAC would be to convert this to RGBHV and thus stripping HDCP. Unless there is something we don't know yet.

What would people guess the GBP price for this and the 2 external boxes will be? £5k?

Martin

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Hello all

Just a quick note to say Gordon (Convergent-AV) is on his way to the US so wont have seen any of this info as yet - I guess Lumagen released the info a day or so earlier than anyone had expected :)

Best regards

Joe

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Leaving out analogue outputs makes loads of commercial sense to me, few use them now, and it will save loads of money. By the time this is release, fully debugged, die hards like me with CRT will probably have moved on anyway.

and if leave out analogue outputs, you might as well leave out the SDI inputs as well.

15. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

It's unlikely that a well respected company would produce a unit that openly breaks the law, stripping the HDCP signal and outputting an HD analogue stream. Although there are 'little boxes' that do this already, we are yet unaware of what action companies using the HDCP encryption will take when production of HDDVD/Blueray content will become available. However, if they do, I'll have one! :D

I can understand having the HD-SDI inputs as optional, but I thought and perceived a clear benefit to SDI, even over HDMI (due to colourspace)?
    Good to see they've gone with HQV, should be one hell of a processor!

16. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    "We must disable analog out for HDCP inputs. You would have to feed us non-encrypted HDMI sources to use the external DAC.

The movie industry has screwed all CRT (and non-HDCP digital) diplay owners and we are helpless to prevent it. I guess you can't blame them for trying to stop illegal copies.

My project-that-will-never-be would be an internal HDMI receiver with HDCP for the G90 and the Electrohome Marquee series. Probably will neve get the time for this. "

Jim Peterson, Lumagen

So the answer is that the only way to get RGBHV out of the DAC is not to put HDCP encrypted digital video into the Radiance. Sounds like we will still need a naughty box, then. And there already is an unofficial internal Marque DVI/HDCP input card.

Nick

17. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Long live the naughty box! Got mine already!

Martin

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Martin, which one did you go for?

19. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi everyone....It's Gordon, not Elliot.

Cat out the bag before I was expecting....

Limited time so just this to start.

CRT users. Jim owns a 9500LC marquee. You can be assured that the d to a for crt users will be the dogs.....he doesn't want second best. There does seem to be confusion as to what capabilities this DAC will have. Just hink of the dac and the scaler as one unit....if you do you'll see that as per ANY HDCP or HDMI license product if it receives a copyprotected signal then there will be no analogue output capability.

For those who want digital in and analogue out as has been said there will be solutions......good solutions.

More tomorrow guys

G

20. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nic,

I've sent you a PM.

Martin