A new front in the war on free time

Actually it has come out OK, not perfect but I think it should be OK after sanding

IMG_20160418_201500.jpg

got the 2nd cab gluing up and have had issues with the irregular angles, I need to find a better way to deal with this to avoid tearing my hair out!

Oh I dunno, maybe get someone else to just build them? :D
Joking (ish), good job!

got the 2nd cab all glued up and lined the interior. I had a bash at sanding one of the edges down (where the joint didn't quite fit perfectly) and I think it's fair to say I need a bigger sander else I'll be here til the end of time!

google says I need a random orbital sander, any recs for something a) decent, and b) not mega expensive?

Do you have a hand plane?

You can get very, very cheap ones which kinda do an okay job - much quicker than sanding anyway! Do you have a wet stone or something to sharpen the hypothetical blade when it dulls?

To be honest, there are a few cheap electric planers as well, would save you a lot of effort...

I don't have that much material to remove, it's about 1mm or so on most sides. I only have a tiny sander though so it takes a while (and also I'm lazy so want it done yesterday)

A few of your pictures aren't showing up in the AVForums app for some reason, I need to go to a web browser to view them.

Great job on the cab though, that black MDF looks the business [emoji106]

Screw fix is your friend! As if you need an excuse to get more power tools.

I think it is in our job description to get lots of tools, whether you use them or not ;)

I wouldn't bother with the sander, a hand plane or a guided trim bit for the router would be best, the trouble with sanding that much off is it doesn't stay flat

Perhaps I should post some pics but the bits jutting out are invariably on the angle sides so I don't see how a trim bit could reach. It is also not just a bit of overhang in some cases but the panel needs to be smoothed down.

Looking good, are you happy?

I put the 4th and 5th coats on today. I'll see how they look when dry but I suspect further coats will be pointless.

not a great pic but this is basically finished now. The finish is a bit uneven in places (which shows up in this sort of lighting) so I need to work out how to smooth that out for the next ones but it's good enough. The oil does give a really nice richness to the finish.

upload_2016-6-28_11-18-55.png

Initial giddiness has worn off so decided I want to achieve a smoother finish. I'm going to practice using the back of one of these boxes. I'm thinking sanding through 600-1200 grit then applying another coat of oil, drying and then repeat with wet sanding. I may end with another round of dry sanding to flatten the finish if necessary.

Main concern is that it will end up too shiny but we'll see.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom