A new front in the war on free time

I need to decide whether to port it though, I'm moderately concerned about excursion at the low end.

I got this data today in free space. The rise in distortion could be due to the falling output so it might be nothing to worry about. I need to run a sweep with it wall mounted, work out a filter to bring up the low end and then see what the distortion looks like.

upload_2016-2-19_22-2-24.png
v

Last edited:
ran some tests today to see how it performs in situ, was a bit concerned about some of the measured distortion in some more aggressive sweeps so I hooked up the sub along with the crossover and did some quick RTA based sub EQ. The result was

upload_2016-2-20_15-31-12.png

I then put some music on and cranked it for a while (95-100dB on the rew rpl meter with music is quite a pounding :eek:) and I have to say it just caned it without breaking sweat. Brutal!

Quite powerful aren't they :)

You forgot to mention that, just think how powerful your fronts are then

came up with another XO with the aim of addressing the somewhat harsh sound on certain tracks (e.g. anything by Adele, i.e. strong female vocals)

the old xo

upload_2016-2-28_11-29-34.png

the new one

upload_2016-2-28_11-29-43.png

if you flip back and forth then you'll see the overall response is v v similar

this filter asks for a lot less from the CD from 1.5-3kHz and it completely removes that harshness to my ears.

I also ran a quick comparison between this and the S150T which shows the radian is a full ~12dB more sensitive than the S150T. It's not really a fair comparison but suffice to say I didn't listen to music on the S150T for v long.

ordered a load of black Valchromat today cut to size from www.avonplywood.co.uk/Valchromat.aspx

it should arrive in 1-2 weeks so it will soon be time to get back on the woodwork trail and get these built. The design is a simple truncated pyramid sized so all the angles required are 22.5 degrees and hence simple to slot together (I hope!).

upload_2016-3-9_21-11-5.png

What amp do you drive these and your fronts with Matt?

What amp do you drive these and your fronts with Matt?
I have a cinepro 2k6 mk3 atm, some big old school iron :)

I have been tempted to go for something hypex flavoured but it will cost quite a bit and I'm not sure I fancy moving that cinepro again!

it seems woodwork season is almost upon us once again

I bought a new router as my old one was just too annoying in use (the nozzle for the dust extractor was a most effective way to make sure you couldn't see the work piece) & a load of black valchromat turned up today.

I'm looking forward to covering everything in fine black dust at the weekend.

I'm looking forward to covering everything in fine black dust at the weekend.
much black dust was indeed made. Unfortunately I made a mess of a few pieces so will need to redo them, it also took me ages to get things lined up to cut..... I reckon I could be a Daily Mail headline "Is this Britain's Slowest Woodworker?" :facepalm:

That Valchromat looks an interesting product, is it much the same as working with MDF?
Are you thinking of finishing it with anything like oil etc or has it got a suitable surface to just leave as is?

That Valchromat looks an interesting product, is it much the same as working with MDF?
it seems harder, and the particles finer, than MDF. It's also a bit lighter than I thought it might be but it's also a pretty consistent colour. It feels like you can work it more cleanly than MDF (or perhaps I was less ham fisted today, who can tell).

Are you thinking of finishing it with anything like oil etc or has it got a suitable surface to just leave as is?
apparently you finish it like you would finish any wood. I've also read that a high gloss lacquer can leave it looking like granite. I'm not sure what to use yet, I want to achieve a somewhat matte finish but no idea how to do that. I also want my boxes took not crap but that might be beyond me too :) function over form for me!

Maybe some type of oil would give you matte finish? I've used Danish oil before (although on oak) and that gives a nice matte finish if you build it up in thin layers.
I suppose you can't use any type of filler though so will have to leave any seams/joints exposed?

I suppose you can't use any type of filler though so will have to leave any seams/joints exposed?
yeah I think that's right. I've tried to organise it so there are relatively few seams on display but who knows how it will come out!

yeah I think that's right. I've tried to organise it so there are relatively few seams on display but who knows how it will come out!
I'm sure they'll come out great!
Think I might send off for some samples from there as I'm interested to see what it's like!

I have managed to get a few hours in this week and made some decent progress. I think I have levelled up woodwork this week as this truncated pyramid actually fits together nicely (no obvious overhang or gaps)!

upload_2016-3-31_19-48-55.png

I think the new router has helped as it seems easier to control & adjust and I have also been making use of some bench cookies (I should be American, I'll buy any DIY gadgets going apparently)

I've got some bench cookies too! [emoji106] They are very useful!
The joints are looking good, are you glueing it together or using screws?

Glue only, no screws

I have cut rabbets because of this, ie they are positioned to support the pieces so I can glue it fairly easily

That's come out well Matt. I normally just about reinvent the wheel with my DIY, but I'm being lazy and going to Gordy for some new boxes...kudos to you for making them yourself.

got the 2nd box cut up and both baffles done. Now I remember, having packed and tidied, that I was meant to trim 2mm off the sides of the 1st box :facepalm:

I'm pretty pleased with them as the driver fits nice and flush (both level to the baffle and a nice tight, but not too tight, fit inside it too)

bt6WXIRqPac96tXNtkyWnrf92QcUT7V8IKUsy48ompxCTYVVZVyd0LvwXdwfCQ6UHwKPRQn-TOfim_BxcNcrGgAsYTZDL9Cb9TnYXjn6Uxz1sXi5e55HguIa9TCdSGdbkoSbRY-lPysqPtTL3EcMHi-QbgGCdXgiaEwXP2TMseX4ht4acpFO5FPuwZmGOqTKk4L74IrLFDeyNzMWlv6XWLAZXUkV0TGdPxsG79eUm_ZauHNDSnvX-IWZZml8dwRxo2NQv_WdnKMLrLGoLw2ueGRmqBOFEQ1fVX99NK8OAX1JzU-UMkSrJv-06ZKg9Xr3el9ukYRFwjiNPxfDfDvA0qOnFYrBeAtUCaYEtHMQ7yBFQCXF50Iw6Co8PzlVEjWUdUztyPxI7XaVz95rwGjwzgTEn6MGy5VMKa6eFVcxp2GDLWKejfnyf4RqzpjOU5OWaroffHlAZut_wq8Kufl-CPCVj6yWGdTxfnLDCyzVTDYrwRMZFT2zodZ8TFM4bF2rZqBOghZYYKRPFT62V5lVtkxeuMXluMrWrd5Ph_7ID_O6Ke5x1qZ5QuqHoKbQzY8GaZRg=w953-h1283-no

First box is definitely a bit rough, will be hiding this one in the corner for sure! I might even rebuild this one, will see how the next one comes out as that one should be better as I was much more precise with some of the cuts (fingers crossed!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom