1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new floor / covering. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Nic Rhodes, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am trying to put the final spec to my barn project and have just costed up a solid wood floor. :( Ouch. In fact even the laminate flooring is pricey. I don't really want to use ordinary carpet but has anyone any experience with more natural fibres like the grasses etc and how do they perform acoustically?

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying turf rather than seeding is a much quicker route but more expensive. You must make sure you water it well until it has established. Another point to consider is your lighting. Metal Halide or Sodium lighting will be best but this may cause a problem when trying to watch films.
    Personaly I wouldn't choose grass for a floor covering as the fumes from the lawn mower might make me feel sick unless the room is very well ventalated.
    Hope this has helped :D

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    Grasses ?!!!

Speaking from experience, go for a concrete floor with carpet. Any surface not completely solid - like wood - will resonate.
    Contrete is completely solid and carpet helps deaden the acoustics.

4. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Spectre says a carpet over concrete will be the best acoustic solution. Assuming that you will need to comply with building regulations you will need to insulate the floor. With a new concrete floor the insulation can be laid under the concrete, but if you already have a floor laid then insulation slabs are laid over this then typically chipboard placed over the top as a floating floor.
    My room conversion needed to use the latter so I fixed battens down to make the chipboard more solid and made a concrete plinth at the equipment end to make sure it was given a solid footing. I then used what I presume was recycled wool/cloth underlay as it is alot thicker and more solid than the normal rubber type.
    :)

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks for most of the comments (!) guys. The problem is it is on the first floor and hence my reluctance to go the concrete route. The floor will have have to be replaced though so it is certainly possible...planning

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soz, I presumed it would be ground floor :rolleyes:
    To use concrete on the first floor would need RSG and other strengthening work so may be prohibitively expensive.
    Assuming a wooden floor is already in place then using thick underlay (or even acoustic insulation slabs) under deep pile carpet is probably the best option. I would make sure that the joists and floorboards are as solid as possible though, a bit of work beefing it up at construction stage would save a lot of hassle later.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Buy a cheap carpet and use the saving to buy Mana stands.:D

8. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, Beekeeper,
    Some thoughts:
    I’m guessing you’ll be wanting a rug over at least part of the floor, to reduce echo/reflection: is it feasable to have a nice-looking wooden peripheral floor, with a central area/areas (hidden by rug) of cheaper flooring grade material?

Maybe you’ve already done this: there could be cheaper suppliers in your area not known/used by your builder – you could try getting some names from say a local sawmill: someone working privately (cabinetworker/local joiner) who has access to lumber who could supply you good stuff cheaper as a one-off deal to generate some cash. We did exactly that with some elm worksurfaces and other woodwork.

We put new french oak parquet on our dining area last year: not exactly super cheap, but cheaper than the reclaimed stuff we could find, cheaper than oak floorboards, and much nicer (and cheaper) than the dreaded laminate. I can probably dig up details if youre interested. don’t go the laminate pseudowood route in an old building – its way overpriced, and more importantly will stick out like a sore thumb and irritate you no end eventually (IMO).

Finally, try ringing around salvage yards and asking about reclaimed floor material: they sometimes get loads of old parquet: you (ie someone else) can lay it (backbreakingly tedious), sand it and it looks fabulous. Very cheap, but you need to get lucky with timing, as its obviously unpredictable. Architect near us had a fantastic floor done just this way. On a 1st floor, there may be some extra expense laying an underfloor - I'm not sure about that, I'm afraid.

chris