1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New Desktop Enviroment

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mjr600, Jan 23, 2004.

1. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Follow the thread to the Sun site for a Real video demo of Project Looking Glass.

Its their vision of a future desktop and I challenge anyone who watches it to say they'd be happy what Microsoft are likely to give us with Longhorn.

wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.html

2. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in hollywood terms it looks great and is full of special effects, but with my business hat on (which is the main driver of OS dev) its over the top, if i want to put a note on a document i type it no need to have a fancy flip around to do the same thing

although it sounds like its being developed as opensource so it cant be a bad thing, best of luck to sun and ive just read its being developed for linux and solais using java

although think 10 years ahead (minority report style) movig windows to the side of a hugh monitor but still see their contents will probably be the norm:laugh:

have a look at
    http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

linux only though