A new coffee machine

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by kah22, Jul 1, 2015.

1. kah22

kah22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im not a coffee addict but Ido like a few cups of homemade coffee during the week. At present I'm using a cafetière or a DeLonghi Icon (a Which Best Buy)

It would seem that there are two roads I can go down. I can get a bean to cup machine which would assure fresh coffee every time. The top three bean to cup machines, according to Which, are all DeLonghi the ESAM 2800, the ECAM Eletta Plus 44.620.S and the Magnifica 4000B. Surprisingly though their best the ESAM 2800 is also the least expensive of the three weighing in at £254 from Homebase. Or I can get a decent grinder and stick with my cafeteria or my Icona

An article I read one said 'I've often said that I can make a better shot of espresso with a $200 espresso machine and a $400 grinder than I can with a $2,000 espresso machine and no grinder (or a blade grinder)... and it's absolutely true.' CoffeeGeek - Don't Skimp on the Grinder

Still thinking about grinders I wonder how good bean to cup grinders really are. Can they match or overtake the quality of a grind you get from a Burr grinder. Go down the road of a grinder and I have an extra kitchen gadget but moe money in my pocket

I'd like to hear your views. A new bean to cup machine or a dedicated coffee grinder and stick with my Icona and French Press

Kevin

2. inchindown

inchindown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a De'Longhi ETAM36.365 Prima Donna XS Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine. I use it every day, and it makes what I think is pretty good coffee.

I only use it for black coffee most of the time, as I don't like milk much.

There are a few things which I would criticise about my machine.

The coffee isn't quite hot enough for my taste.

The maximum cup size is smaller that I prefer, so I have to hit the "Two Cups" button in order to fill a normal sized mug.

It's not easy to try new bean brands, as there is no easy way to remove the beans that are already in the bean hopper. It would be better if the bean hopper lifted out so you could easily swap the beans for another brand.

On the whole I'm happy with my machine. It's easy to use and produces a pretty consistent cup of coffee.

3. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    ...you will be once you've found the right bean-to-cup machine and beans.

I've been fortunate that my entry-level Bosch VeroCafe (with integral ceramic grinders) has proven to be be a long-term winner. That's not to say that if I had a bigger budget I would not hesitate to buy a Miele table-top machine (personal preference) and retire my Bosch.

4. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    We have a Neff C766 bean to cup, built in. We love it, it's probably the most heavily used item in our kitchen. We had it installed when we had the kitchen done about five years ago. A couple of our neighbours loved the coffee so much, that they bought counter top machines for their kitchens.

I would recommend.

5. mitre

mitre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Bean to cup machines can have burr grinders.
    If you're really only having a few coffees a week then it probably isn't worth getting a bean to cup.
    That said I love mine, Jura X5, officially wife approved as the best gadget ever :)