A new and different, for a considerable part, look on The Big Lebowski

Iwriteuwithlove

Standard Member
Hi! It's well known that "The Big Lebowski" is a fan-favorite movie and that lots of people can quote almost every line from it. Nevertheless, I see some questions to be worth asking. The questions regarding correct understanding of those lines, in particular. These questions, or the answers to them, lead to a view on this movie that is completely different from what most of the audience seems to believe.

First, the Coen brothers are well known for the use of comical elements in their work. But they never make these elements plain and simple. They are artists in the true sense of the word and they always try to be creative and make things complicated. In contradiction to this, people typically see "The Big Lebowski" as a pure comedy, which is the most trivial form of humor. Second, people rarely search for the substantial meaning of what really happens here. This meaning must exist, again, given the reputation of the authors. The only one that is widely recognized is about the "take it easy" lifestyle. The authors never agreed to this, and even refuted any connection to the things like Buddhism or Taoism. This is not surprising, because you can find many contradictions to such connections in the movie itself. Anyway, the meaning is must be somewhere in the movie, and let's assume that the meaning is prior to the humor. It may as well be not the case, but for a Coen brothers' movie it must be. The next question is - how is this meaning connected to the use of humor. Why and how was the humor needed for delivering the ideas? What genre of humor do we see? Third, it is the most successful, in terms of the love of the public, movie that Coen brothers ever made; still, they say that the audience loves this movie much more than they do, which could mean that they are somewhat disappointed with how people understand it. Otherwise, you'd be happy to see people loving your work and would never say in public that you personally don't like it that much.

These are just preliminary questions. The following videos, I think, give the answer to them and to many others, explaining behavior of the characters, the purpose of particular scenes, and examining the true message from the authors.

Links:
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Of course, it's far from being a complete view on the movie, but my intention was to show "The Big Lebowski" from a specific angle. Obviously, I consider it the most important angle. Simply because the movie makes much more sense if seen this way. For this reason I think this view is exactly what the authors wanted to show. No one has the right to reduce it to a stoner comedy. It is much more than that. If you truly love this movie, then you must search for the meaning of it. If not here, then do it by yourself. Ask yourself, who the characters really are, why did they act in the way they did. Try to uncover purpose behind most, if not every, elements of the film. If you can not do this, then just admit that you don't understand what you are laughing at while watching "The Big Lebowski".

TheNightFly

It’s been a while since I‘ve watched the film. I watched all three parts of the discussion you linked to and found them to be quite illuminating. A bit hard going in places but fascinating nonetheless. Thanks for posting. I must get around to rewatching the film sometime soon with fresh insight.

Iwriteuwithlove

Standard Member
It’s been a while since I‘ve watched the film. I watched all three parts of the discussion you linked to and found them to be quite illuminating. A bit hard going in places but fascinating nonetheless. Thanks for posting. I must get around to rewatching the film sometime soon with fresh insight.
It's great to hear that you find the videos interesting! I know, they are not very easy to watch. Although I tried to make them entertaining, the best thing about them should be, as you said, some illuminative information. The problem is that this information cannot be delivered (proved to be true) in a couple of words, and since the goal is to find a sort of complete view on the movie it results in a quite long video. It also takes a considerable mental effort on the viewer's part, which he is not always ready to make for a new and unknown YouTube channel. So, if you can suggest any ways of how to make these videos easier for a viewer, I'd be happy to hear.

Jules Tohpipi

Hi! It's well known that "The Big Lebowski" is a fan-favorite movie and that lots of people can quote almost every line from it. Nevertheless, I see some questions to be worth asking. The questions regarding correct understanding of those lines, in particular. These questions, or the answers to them, lead to a view on this movie that is completely different from what most of the audience seems to believe.

First, the Coen brothers are well known for the use of comical elements in their work. But they never make these elements plain and simple. They are artists in the true sense of the word and they always try to be creative and make things complicated. In contradiction to this, people typically see "The Big Lebowski" as a pure comedy, which is the most trivial form of humor. Second, people rarely search for the substantial meaning of what really happens here. This meaning must exist, again, given the reputation of the authors. The only one that is widely recognized is about the "take it easy" lifestyle. The authors never agreed to this, and even refuted any connection to the things like Buddhism or Taoism. This is not surprising, because you can find many contradictions to such connections in the movie itself. Anyway, the meaning is must be somewhere in the movie, and let's assume that the meaning is prior to the humor. It may as well be not the case, but for a Coen brothers' movie it must be. The next question is - how is this meaning connected to the use of humor. Why and how was the humor needed for delivering the ideas? What genre of humor do we see? Third, it is the most successful, in terms of the love of the public, movie that Coen brothers ever made; still, they say that the audience loves this movie much more than they do, which could mean that they are somewhat disappointed with how people understand it. Otherwise, you'd be happy to see people loving your work and would never say in public that you personally don't like it that much.

These are just preliminary questions. The following videos, I think, give the answer to them and to many others, explaining behavior of the characters, the purpose of particular scenes, and examining the true message from the authors.

Links:
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Of course, it's far from being a complete view on the movie, but my intention was to show "The Big Lebowski" from a specific angle. Obviously, I consider it the most important angle. Simply because the movie makes much more sense if seen this way. For this reason I think this view is exactly what the authors wanted to show. No one has the right to reduce it to a stoner comedy. It is much more than that. If you truly love this movie, then you must search for the meaning of it. If not here, then do it by yourself. Ask yourself, who the characters really are, why did they act in the way they did. Try to uncover purpose behind most, if not every, elements of the film. If you can not do this, then just admit that you don't understand what you are laughing at while watching "The Big Lebowski".

What in God’s holy name are you blathering about?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom