A multi region player for a US resident

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Setenza, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I friend of mine who has emmigrated to the US, requires a multi region DVD player.

Are these common in the US, as the MPAA is a bit more vocal than it's UK counter part.

Obviously, he'll also need a TV that can handle PAL.

Any recommendations on the DVD player?

2. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i presume they are common enough. i have a friend who has been living in washington the last few years and he has a multi-region player, that he bought over there.
    i send him an e-mail, and ask what model and are they common?

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i`ve been in touch with my mate, and he reckons they arent very common there.
    he picked his player up on ebay. its an akai player, but he didnt have a model number or anything, so not much help i`m afraid:rolleyes:

4. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    No, not common at all, in my experience. Most Americans (including many retailers of h/w and s/w) aren't even aware that there ARE any other regions!

Best bet might be to buy one in USA and get it hacked in UK. If you buy one in UK first you have all the hassles of power supply etc.

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mate bought his on ebay already mulitiregion for $120 delivered, so i`m sure that is the easiest route

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There is an American firm who supply multi region players, some multi format/voltage etc . I will check it out but I am sure it is
    www.dvdcity.com.
    Ged
    P.S. yes it is!

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks. I've referred these details over to my friend in Ohio.

I've also tracked down some multi region players at HkFlix

I'm sure both these leads will sort him out what he needs.

8. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May i suggest your freind trys. www.jvbdigital.com

those other companys are very expensive .here you will be able to get a brand new model JVC for $168 !.It will playback PAL on to a NTSC tv as it has an internal transcoder. It will also be multiregion and NTSC progressive ! , all for about 110 pounds.

I bought my JVC machine here in the USA at a chain called BEST BUY , you r freind will know this store, i then bought mod chip and fit myself as i have a electronics rrepair background . that said it was real easy to fit as it was a 8 pin I.C and the instructions are excellant.

I came here in Oct 2002 and have never ever had any problems with my machine and it's great being able to watch , Bo-Selecta and Trigger Happy

Regards.John.

You can buy the machine from retailers with the mod for about $119 + tax. if you don't get it multiregioned no problem as the transcoder still works region 0 PAL to NTSC.

9. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHOOPS ! , sorry the last lot of rubish should have said WITHOUT the mod !, I bought one without yesterday at Bestbuy for my Mother in law FOR $109 price match . Absolute bargain.

No chroma bug on prog scan NTSC , plays dvd-r,-rw , dvd+r,+rw , jpeg, cd-d/rw , very slim.

The instructions supplied though indicate that you need to manually change region.but you can tell it to do 0 instead of 1,2 ,3 4, etc and I have never had a RCE problem or anything.

They also do a DVD-Audio version as well.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There are a few US MR sites Apex players are more common in the US and firmware is downloadable. Also I would have thought that handset hacks would be as valid on US machines Haman Kardon DVD25 is handset hackable IIRC and should turn up a good price browsing US sites

11. THE DETROIT 1

THE DETROIT 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there Mr Dragon , can you tell me the hanset hack for the Harmon 25 , i know that Apache say that the multiregion file is only for the non USA version of DV 25.I believe it uses the same mediamatic chip as the JVC so pal> ntsc should be cool. The Apex machines i believe only output pal > pal and ntsc> ntsc , though i'm not 100% on that one.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Carefull: multiregion does not necessarily mean PAL comapability. My US player is modded but plays NTSC only (e.g. R1, R3 and Jap. R2)!