A Modest Ikea Besta Build Log

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Qactuar, Oct 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    This isn't going to be your standard audiophile super-duper build (sorry), rather a more modest and I daresay, more common (?) sort of build.

Like most, I'd love to have a dedicated home cinema room, but a young (boisterous!) family negates the outgoings for such wonderful things. That said, the only room in our new build (2 years old) that is a let-down, is the lounge. It's roughly 5.0m by 3.5m, with a small bay window.

This is probably bigger than some rooms, and smaller than others. The beauty is the straight edges and no fireplace or hearth.

It currently looks like this (excuse the lack of furniture - it was removed due to a lot of square edges we couldn't easily protect our 10m old from bashing himself on):

PA180775.jpg

PA180776.jpg PA180777.jpg

As you can tell, I've been testing a few colours out, but done so with frog tape so it's neat and not messy. A few people have asked if it's artwork (!). I just knew it would be months before we decided on a choice, so we agreed neater was best to avoid looking rough :D

Current equipment is an LG 42LS570T and Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar. I also have a Sky HD Box, PS4 and Wii U hiding around the back at the moment. No plans to change these just yet, but after Christmas, I hope to convince Mrs Silverfox that we should get a 55"+ panel. I'm not able to justify 4K at present, but a 1080p panel with HDR would be nice. Again, no inputs to benefit from HDR either, but just an aspiration for future. I'll address that when funds allow.

I also hope to eventually update the soundbar, but to be honest, it's a really decent bit of kit for what it is and I can't use my floor standing speakers with a small one running around - a receiver and bookshelf solution perhaps one day too :) But soundbar upgrades to be significant would cost me a good deal more than this did (£180 about 4 years ago).

Our internet is atrocious (3Mbit) so I rip films and music to my Seagate personal storage and run it as a Plex server to the Plex apps on the TVs in the house. Because of the Yamaha soundbar, it will decode DTS soundtracks nicely on the TV (which otherwise only seems to like to do that via USB). Not elegant, but good enough for our needs!

So, what's my plan? IKEA Besta units. I really like them! We don't get a lot of light, so I decided we needed to keep it light, replace the lighting fixtures with something more positive and get rid of magnolia. We're going on a modern theme and also replacing the old sofa with two new leather sofas (ordering this week).

My aim is as per the below from the IKEA Besta planner (excuse IKEA rubbish colours...it's awful):

view1.PNG
    view2.PNG

The black bit is a radiator, which sadly prevents another 600mm unit being put in by about 120mm - annoying but much less so than moving the radiator. There will be glass tops to this, which I am hoping will not be too bad looking with "joins" - there are two normal 1200mm carcasses and one 1200mm TV stand carcass (with the wiring gaps at the back).

These are Selsviken glossy white, with push open drawers and cupboards. I want a minimalist design with no handles for my lad to hurt himself on. Plus, push-open makes it hard for him to trap fingers, while glossy is easy to clean the inevitable marks off.

Other plans are a bay window curtain, rug, new carpet (this has been ruined as you can see!), side tables, lighting upgrades and coffee table. Yet to be decided, of course.

So, with a week off work, a trip to IKEA is in order!

I'll use the next few posts as placeholders for the moment.

2. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    So I borrowed the FIL's 3 Series estate (325d 2008 - quietly impressed with the drive - really like the six-pot!) and attempted to get my Besta units sorted. Had to wait until today to get a few bits that came back into stock. Arrived at 9.30am, before opening, but picked a strategic parking space that meant I had the benefits of the loading bay area, without one of the loading bay spots :)

Here's the trolley (which was a bugger to steer):

IMG-20161018-WA0005.jpg

I panicked at the volume of stuff. This was looking like two trips today (35 mins each way). This doesn't include two Alex drawer units as yet, that I had spotted to replace the legs on my study desk...

...but it all went in!

IMAG0540.jpeg

Notice the space in the corner? Yeah, I knew that if I filled it perfectly, it would all disappear (as any good Tetris-packing person knows). Weirdly, when in the car, I slid the top boxes back a bit and could still see out of the back - must try harder next time!

Decanted at home in a neat stack. The OCD in me was tempted to flip over the boxes that were up the wrong way, but I thought I would leave the forum to have a nervous twitch over that one ;)

PA180778.jpg

The Alex units are on the right and while I need to paint the room first, I convinced Mrs Silverfox to let me build one now and get the study a bit tidier. I tend to lay things out like this for IKEA stuff and it really speeds things up. This only took about 30 minutes or so, but IKEA furniture tends to roughly follow the same formula for most box-shaped things :)

PA180779.jpg

This is the ugly space it is replacing:

PA180781.jpg

And here it is in place. Need to do the other side as well, but had to go and fetch my little lad from nursery. It's a different colour to the desk (1500mm Linnmon top), but it accents well in the room with silver edges elsewhere. When I get a black-brown Gnedby in stock again, I will show the other wall opposite - it's *almost* wall-to-wall Billy/Benno/Gnedby (RIP Benno). I have an Expedit unit in here as well, which is probably a bit overkill in landscape. I may turn it to stand up instead, but it has drawers and cupboards that would need changing. I'll figure that one out eventually...

PA180782.jpg

You might spot my Yamaha Advanced YST 2.1 speakers there, almost finished being sprayed black (from computer grey that discoloured). These are 17 years old still sounding superb! I have a soft spot for Yamaha audio gear - can you tell?

Nobody else at home tomorrow, so the plan is:

* Fill old curtain rail holes and sand down with wet & dry
    * Frog tape everything (removing sockets etc)
    * Remove blinds for taping
    * Complete the first round of cutting in
    * Hope enough time exists to start a first coat in general

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    So preparation post. Taping takes ages. AGES. But totally worth it. Strongly suggest that anyone painting takes the effort to do this. It's just much cleaner when you're done!

This is how it looked to begin with:
    PA190783.jpg

Found a dead spider under the sofa:
    PA190784.jpg

Cleaned skirting boards for frog tape prep:
    PA190785.jpg

Removed all the buttons from the plug sockets and switches:
    PA190787.jpg

Baggie from IKEA - love these!
    PA190788.jpg

Frog taping part one:
    PA190789.jpg

Frog taping part two:
    PA190790.jpg

For love nor money, was that alarm sensor coming off. Short of delaying my job, it wasn't budging at all and I know that there is a tamper system in place, so left it there with some expert frogging around the edges (quite good if I may say so!).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    This is the colour we are going with. I'm really nervous to be honest...the swatches left me unsure, but I trust my wife implicitly! Tough paint on purpose, due to small person. This can be scrubbed with no detriment to the paint itself. Excellent. Bought 3 5L tins - totally overkill I think, but better to have too much and take some back.

PA190793.jpg

First pass of cutting in - thin brush, as I will do pass two with a wider brush, to avoid too thick layers at the edges (rollers can get pretty close in fairness):
    PA190795.jpg

Second pass with the wider brushes. Note how I was trying hard to sand and paint the swatches? Well, let me tell you this: Dulux 20x tougher paint, is worth the money. It's really hard to remove by accident! I attacked with P80 grit sand paper in the end. Whew.
    PA200797.jpg

First coat on:
    PA200799.jpg

Alternative view:
    PA200800.jpg

Second coat applied and room tidied. I also changed the lamps on a pendant out to some triple spots (4W LED) - these are temporary while we figure out what we like/want to do. Also put the triple spot stand in as well (7W LED). Existing blinds really suit this colour well!

PA210804.jpg

Alternative view of final paint. Excuse the sofa - it's pants, but at least we can wash the covers! Note the other spots - I have three on each pointing to opposite sides of the room for coverage - not quite enough, but, moodier lighting than a pendant bulb that is omni-directional. We kind of like it...! This is still wet in a couple of patches, which you can see.

White really pops here - my confidence in the colour well-restored! Our modern White/Green take will work I think. It's calming - not far off psychiatric ward green ;)

PA210805.jpg

5. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Shorter post this one, but gives an idea of where the room is going...

First Besta unit (TV stand) ready to get built - the frames are so fast to make!

PA210806.jpg

Finished unit - the drawers will be aligned with other units over coming weeks, as the frames settle into the carpet (which in fairness, needs Vax cleaning or replacing). No point busting my balls now for it to be slightly out in a few weeks - there's a lot of drawers to align...!

The mechanism to do this is quite good - you lift the drawer off the rail and twist a small dial on either side to raise. Easy.

PA210808.jpg

Snuck in a second unit before bed too!

PA210811.jpg

Old Next unit on the left (Opus Oak) is slightly taller, but, is raised on feet and the drawers don't have as much usable space as you might expect. More to come later...I've got the third unit for the floor to make, before the three for the wall (those go up tomorrow as my neighbour is an engineer and is really much faster than me at these things, so will do the monkey-work I am hoping!).

6. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Three units finished.

PA220812.jpg

Three wall units ready to be installed in the morning (props to neighbour for helping me do the two-person job here):

PA220814.jpg

Units up without soft-close and push-open hinged doors installed:

PA230815.jpg

First pair of cupboards installed and aligned a little (aligning doors was a mere inconvenience - it was very easy to do):

PA230816.jpg

All in:
    PA230817.jpg

Storage test for my bits up top :) :
    PA230819.jpg

My leftover spare IKEA bag of bits. Sky remote for size comparison - this is a heavy bag of bits!

PA240820.jpg

Tidy room view:

PA250821.jpg

Reverse view of tidy room:

PA250822.jpg

Now we're waiting on the sofas...more of those in the post below!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  7. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Sofas are from Sofology - Livorno range, with electric recliner feature on both the three-seater and two-seater. Three-seat only has two recliners of course. Also ordering a foot-stool with storage. Upgraded leather to a white and thicker grade with accidental damage protection (apparently, we're likely to need this!)

Stock images, but you get the idea. The lounge views are a different colour - the snipped images are the right one.

sofa5.PNG

sofa1.PNG

sofa7.PNG

sofa8.PNG

sofa9.PNG

These are due before Christmas as a guarantee, but that goes right out to 23rd December. We're confident that they will shave a couple of weeks off this expected delivery date. Props to Sofology - staff were excellent and not pushy at all. Will update again when these arrive :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I do like a living room thread. I'll be checking the updates for sure :)

As a dad of a four year old though, in time you'll wonder why you let the fact your toddler *might* bump into stuff dictate the furniture in a room. The bumping into things doesn't last long!

9. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Thanks!

Well, it *is* kind of two-fold; no handles is cleaner and less fussy - on what would be ten drawers and six cupboards, it could look a bit mish-mashy. The clean look on white should be quite striking if we do it right. That's a big if. Neither my wife or I have been as bold as this previously, playing it relatively safe in terms of fit and finish.

The monkey not smashing his face in is an added bonus. He's clumsy as hell at the moment (he was walking at 9m old!) and doesn't have very good spatial awareness. I really want those barriers to be gone too, which means having less sharpness to hinder him.

He is the reason we're opting for leather over fabric sofas however - that is definitely a sensible call, albeit an expensive one to get something modern and comfortable that isn't out of place.

I'm about to start cracking on with today's tasks, so some updates due later on all being well.

10. EntryLevel

EntryLevel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Where would we be without Besta? I'm due to move into a house with a similar sized loving room soon, so following with interest. Enjoying the build log so keep up the good work Silverfox.

11. rwttm001

rwttm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Looking forward to seeing the end result, the rooms are extremely similar! Besta FTW :D

12. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    We must all be in new David Wilson homes!

I'm just out and about ordering sofas actually - 3 seater and 2 seater with a storage footstool. Mrs Silverfox picked the most expensive leather option so it's eye-watering prices compared to what we thought initially, but electric recliners that sit on feet and look like normal sofas...I'll get a snap up later!

Delivery before Xmas assuming the finance goes through (changed jobs this year which tends to slow things down due to constant history etc). May as well use interest free 4 years etc.

I've got photo progress from yesterday too - just need a bit of time to get on the computer :)

13. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Post #3 now updated with prep phase.

14. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Post #4 updated with painting phase.

15. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Post #5 updated with the first of the units built...!

My fingers are sore from washing my hands constantly and opening IKEA boxes...!

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,105
    It's looking great Silverfox, Besta is such a flexible product with all the different finishes and even frosted glass tops, etc. There will be a 3 unit one in my build later on, with a few additions rather than a very similar looking unit from a local shop that cost about 5x as much. They also do those neat LED strip lights that come on when you open the door, which I've used around my house and will fit some in the Besta too.

PS: You don't know sore hands unless you've hand sanded about 200 Oak flooring planks. :eek:

17. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Yep, I liked the flexibility to build something "bespoke" in a way. It looks so much better in the flesh - the glass tops are great. I intend to put LED downlighters on the wall units eventually, but I will not do this right away, as we need a sparkie to put in some high-level plug sockets first. Despite having 16 sockets in this room (just re-counted), none are high-level, as we never planned to wall mount.

Thanks for the comments :) it's getting there! I'll keep an eye out for yours too. Inspiration in these parts is in an abundance at least!

18. Ragged T

Ragged T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    16 sockets, that's a lot, I guess your counting outlets rather than the plates.

19. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Yes - a plate (2x) in each corner. One more near the door behind sofa. 3 behind the TV - which was silly - I should have put 5 here for future proofing! Was hard at the time though, as we didn't know what we needed.

Standard fit in this room as it was being built was a double in two corners and a pair of doubles behind the TV. I refused to have trailing wires for lamps etc. It didn't cost much more to put in a few sockets, so I got them to do it for free (had 14 doubles put in extra through the house, four went in the lounge). Still don't have enough in useful places :(

20. Ragged T

Ragged T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's looking good. When I wired my house I got fed up chasing so didn't put in as many sockets as I intended and totally dropped doing a full network for the whole house which I now regret. When I wired my brother in laws place a few months later I done a network o_O:rolleyes::( he loves it...

21. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    I asked about putting in patch cables but the house builder was completely useless and refused to entertain the idea. Wouldn't have cost much either but I couldn't get hold of the electricians when they were doing their fit. Bit gutted but power line does help.

Quick snap of the three units in from a phone pic :)

IMAG0555.jpeg

Wall units going up first thing tomorrow and are good to go.

1477171696479.jpeg

22. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Another phone shot but I have plenty on the proper camera. Units in! Cupboards more or less aligned but still want to give the floor cabinets some time as the carpet is already shifting a little where it's been unused in the past.

IMAG0558.jpeg

23. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Ignore my little lad having a paddy :)

And some of the drawers are open in this image as the boy sat against them and opened them by accident.

24. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Post #6 updated with better images of the finished units.

25. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Post #7 updated with some stock sofa images for an idea.

26. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Really nice. Good job

27. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Thank you. Was a busy week and a lot more still to do! (namely getting the consoles back in there ;) )

28. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Looks lovely with the green and white, very peaceful!

29. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Cheers! Just the carpet looking very angry :( have a feeling it won't clean easily at all.

30. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,584
    Minor update. Rug purchased. Installed.

1479381498975.jpg