A Minidisc player that beeps?

JackhammerCoyote

Novice Member
Reaction score
Many apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, it's my first day.

I've got a Sony Minidisc player I've been trying to sell on eBay. Whilst testing to make sure it works, I tried to play a recordable MD I'd loaded some songs on, and all I could hear was a short tone followed by silence. The disc played fine on another player I tested. As far as I remember (said other player and discs have sold since then) both players were MDLP and the discs were standard 74 minute recordable Minidiscs. I tried to format the disc to NetMD but this didn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone please tell me if this tone is common, and if so, what it indicates? I don't want to sell the player without knowing if it has a recognised fault. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably best to Google the model of Minidisc player and add 'user manual': if there's one available online it'll no doubt tell you.

Do any of your other discs play ok? According to the manual one reason for no sound from a recording is a power failure during the recording. Other than that the obvious thing would be to ask Sony if they have any ideas. TBF this is a fairly old portable player and an old format so I doubt you will get much help on audio forums.

The disc that produced a tone worked fine on the other player I had, which made me think it was an incompatibility thing but I haven't found any evidence of that kind of thing producing a tone. I don't have any of the discs anymore so I might have to buy a pre-recorded one on eBay and see if it works.

There was a great MiniDisc forum at sonyinsider.com but it disappeared a couple of weeks ago and is now just showing some search page. It's disappeared and re-appeared before though so might be worth keeping an eye on that as there were some people on there who knew a lot about the format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom