1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A message from Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by nhalliday, Oct 23, 2002.

1. nhalliday

nhalliday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears that another retailer has reported me for abusing these forums, so I have now effectively been banned from posting responses to your questions and comments.

I've really enjoyed the banter over the last few weeks I've been posting, and hopefully, I've helped a few people out, as well as giving the inside scoop on certain things within the industry.

I hope you all continue to enjoy your AV purchases, wherever you buy them from.

Cheers,
    Nick

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seems stupid to be that you should be prevented from answering peoples questions and making the occasional posting about special offers etc provided that you're input is clearly labled as being commecially driven.

Just my oppinion.

Regards

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second Desticado's post, which said everything I had intended to.

What would most people rather, a guy in the industry with a declared interest posting potentially unique information or 3 more new members asking which DTS films to buy?

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hmmmm

how about this in the 'FORUM RULES'.

Additional guidelines - item 1.

"We encourage representatives of AV retailers, manufacturers and distributors to declare who they work for in their signature. This enables readers of their posts to judge the contents accordingly."

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah so long as their sig` states who and where they are from,what`s the problem?? if this other company thats reported Nick for helping people out with good honest replys,and they can`t be bothered to get off their arses and reply to customers queries,then they should have no say in the matter and stop their bitching.
    Whats the point of a forum if you don`t allow people from the industry/retail side in to answer questions,and ocassionaly post offers that they think members may be intresed in??

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Bone Daddy. I read the post that was whining about
    nhalliday's participation in the forums and it basically came off as a dummy out the pram / sour grapes exercise.

I guess Richer Sounds annoy other retailers by being able to buy bulk and operate at lower margins.

7. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just been and had a good look at nic's original thread here.

I dont think i'd want to see regular postings such as his opening post (which is really just an advert rather than a truely special offer) but all his other posts are informative and respond to specific issues put to him by members of these boards.

It makes sense to me that if members can post here critisicing RS or others that they should be permitted to respond to those critisicims and offer up any assistance they can. In fact I would say not only should if be permitted but encouraged, IMHO.

If Richer sounds want an advertising point, then I agree with Spectre that they should rent a small forum on this board where they can post all their offers etc at any time.

Its a thin line to walk along regarding offering info, assisting and marketing but I think that on the whole Nick has erred on the side of caution, has offered useful info and has genuinely helped members of this board through his contribution.

Regards

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Juboy, I've been thinking (dangerous I know)

Maybe we could get Nick to have a sign put up in all Richer Stores.

"Now that you've purchases a DTS system reccommened demo disks are....."

Would save a LOT of bandwidth here :D

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link... I just read through it and it appears the overwhelming consensus in that thread is that nhalliday's advice and information was positively welcomed by other forum members.

If he helps people get decent products at cheaper prices than they might otherwise have to pay, long may it continue.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, you may have something there. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much for RS to print up a list of demo-type DD and DTS DVDs and include one with each sale of appropriate players and amps. That'd be a nice little marketing touch and might gain them additional sales (or digital cables etc.)

Nick, how 'bout it?

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only know who nick is thanks to reading this thread, but i would say that his being able to participate is important. He represents one of the most talked about retailers and i feel he should be able to give us input as well as us giving it to him!

ad

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How about...

"Our amps are so powerful.... we supply free earplugs to your neighbours!" :D

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And, more importantly, most recognisable and most used in the majority of cases. Didn't RS hold the Guiness World Record for most sales revenue per sq foot or something?

14. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you could have a forum at richersounds.com although I think its rather pathetic whoever reported you for 'abusing' these forums. I would love to know who it was because I will make sure I never buy from them ever again.

Glad you stayed around and chatted with your customers albeit a short while. Sadly most retailers are not interested in what feedback the customer wants to give to them.

We've had these kinds of discussions over at avsforum where there seems to be a poor level of censorship, maybe its time a new website forum for enthusiasts was created..

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I find most insulting in this situation is that some people seem to think we are unable to make our own decisions about what we do.

Sure, Nick has a slight agenda for posting here and sure he might slip in the odd 'advert' but who cares? We can all decide what we buy and where from... we're not all going to file slowly into RS and hand over cash for things we don't want just because Nick makes the odd post here.

Bring it on I say. If other retailers can better RS's prices, let's hear about that. If other retailers feel they can offer better advice to forum members, great, get typing :)

It's called evolution isn't it?

16. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you searched for Nicks handle in the body of posts in the last day you'll find who it was

17. Mart

Mart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone has reported anyone & all out in the open.

It was merely someone raising an issue about clarification of the rules as they had been pulled up previously for similar responses & hardly whinning as referred to.

I sincerely doubt very much that the peson concerned would be worried about more communication/adverts/ advice of the original nature referred to assuming it applies to everyone.That seems fair play & logical to me at any rate.

As a indivudial buyer & not a supplier or retailer more power to everyones elbow as far as I'm concerned !

However I can see the danger of this forum or threads being hi jacked in the form of Ads etc.

Richer Sounds or anyone should have a prefect right to answer any point in relation to a complaint etc.

However if the chap from Richer Sounds has really been banned I can only assume it is because he has broken rules laid out ? Therefore if anyone is really upset by it surely the query should be directed at those applying or writing the rules & seeking those to be changed if a case can be made to do so not directed in any argurement about whom was supposed to have reported whom.

18. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have given a fair bit of stick to RS in the past I don't like this banning stuff.

If the man posts anything that any of us disagree with we could reply.

I think the problem area might have been discussing stock levels and possible future offers.

Maybe the moderators could clarify, was the person banned, or were they asked to adhere to some rules and decided not to?

19. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Nick
    Iam sure I speak for the majority here when I say we have found your posts informative and helpful.

As Desticado pointed out you don’t seem to have actually broken forum rules perhaps stretched them a little by promoting Richer Sounds in the Special Offers Section.

"We encourage representatives of AV retailers, manufacturers and distributors to declare who they work for in their signature. This enables readers of their posts to judge the contents accordingly."

So according to this you are welcome to post responses to Threads that you want providing everyone knows who you are.

I think everyone here would be keen to see you continue to post on these forums. In fact you have the right to defend your company the next time you see it being criticised.

P.S. I don’t work for Richer Sounds

P.P.S Nick can I have a Job?:D

20. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt its anything to do with the mods.

Was most likely a decision made by Spectre

21. purdster

purdster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    well I asked Nick a question re projectors and got an answer which meant my business went to a different retailer as richers aren't into projectors - as far as I'm concerned it is useful to have access to people like nick on these forums as long as it is clear who they are - it needn't just be richers but any retailer of AV kit - we're all intelligent enough to make our own minds up??

I am new to these forums but have been on the dvdforums for ages - I know the rules are made to stop the forum from turning into 1 big advert but it has got to be advantageous for us to have easy access to retailers for advice and information

22. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Question.

Is nick banned or is the thread that he was talking on just closed.

There is a difference, particularly as the conversation in the thread was no longer about special offers.

23. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well all I can say is its a real shame.
    The forum is all the better when people who work in the industry join in. Look at how many people Nick helped in that one thread, we need more people like this not less. And I really don't care if there is another motive behind it, the fact is its good customer service and helps forum members.

I certainly hope he wasn't banned after it would appear RS took on board Spectre's comments and bought advertising space. (on the HCC site anyway).

If your still reading nick, I agree with jrwood. A forum on the new RS site would be good, and I'm sure it would soon fill up. Although I doubt you could provide the same answers and go chasing product lines with so many people.

24. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I for one find this banning very disturbing.
    I can understand the "one big Advertisment" approach that does not need to be a part of this forum, but Nick took the time to reply to people with genuine comments about stock and he was openly taking in constructive comments about the RS website and stock ordering process from people on this forum. Its a sad time when "other" suppliers and AV retailers have nothing better to do than moan rather than asking for constructive comments themselves.

Maybe the "look what coming soon" starting post was a bit like an advertisment, but the thread quickly moved to Futures of technology and comments about RS stock control process.

Moderators: can we all get a final stance on this subject please if only to clarify the situation and to hope that great contibutors to this forum like Nick keep posting..

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ironic result of the request to ban post is that I'm now almost tempted to go and buy something from Richer Sounds!

26. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree - With excellent customer service like that then so would I !!

27. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As I said before.

I DOUBT VERY MUCH it has anything to do with the mods. As mods on this site we are only permitted oppinions, not a vote.

The decision is down to Spectre.

Regards

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Even if it was down to the moderators, Spectre moderates the Special Offers forum on his own and people like Desticado and myself are ordinary members outside the specific forums that we moderate.

The old manufacturers forums didn't take off but maybe a retailers forum would and perhaps companies like Richer Sounds should have their own forum within that section as should the the retailer who complained and any other interested retailer.

It seems to work elsewhere.

29. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    As mentioned by Desticado, we Mods have our opinions but Spectre has the final word. Also as Ian has suggested, maybe its worth bringing back the Manufacturer/Retailers Forums. That way, everyone knows where they stand without contravening any Forum Rules.

30. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spectre, could you please clarify? is nick banned? thanks.