• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A *mere* girl with sound prob, Samsung LE32N73/Sky+/Sony DVD-Theatre .. Help!

S

Shel

Hi … hope an expert can help a *mere* girl? :)

I have just replaced a ‘regular’ TV with a Samsung LE32N73. I have a Sky+ box and a Sony DVD/home-theatre to connect, but I can’t get the sound to work together. I can’t understand why, because it should be so straightforward?

So I think I am missing something blindingly obvious and need to ask for help.

The TV has two scarts and other things like audio out, computer connections and things I expect you will already know about.

The Sky box has 2 scarts, one designated TV and the other designated DVD

The connections on the back of the Sony are: 1 scart; "Video 1" in and out sockets yellow/red/white ; "Video 2" out sockets yellow/red/white but no ‘in’ socket.

I am using Belkin high quality scart ribbons not cables (which incidentally show a significant improvement in picture quality on Freeview over the high-quality cables I also got first)

Problem:

When I chain the DVD/Theatre and the Sky box together and go in to one scart on the TV (what Sky recommends), Sky sound is perfectly okay but terrestrial/freeview sound is 1-2 seconds out.

When I connect Sky and DVD/Theatre to individual scarts on the TV, terrestrial/freeview sound is spot-on but Sky sound is then the one that is out.

I have tried connecting the TV audio red/white sockest to all the red/white sockets on the DVD/Theatre box in turn and selecting "Video 1" and "Video 2" accordingly via the Sony’s remote, but still no matching-sound where it is absent depending on the setup with scarts as above.

Right now I have them back to being chained as I watch mostly sky, and have muted the internal speakers but done nothing else. (That shouldn’t cut off the sound through the theatre system though in another arrangement of cables/connections anyway, should it?)

What I am wanting to do is just use the TV as a monitor, watch Sky/DVD/Terrestrial/Freeview with the sound in-step for everything without having to move leads around every time.

I know it’s possible, because before I got the new TV I had the same things plus a Sony DVD recorder as well, and the man from Comet where I got the recorder from had it all working perfectly straight away even with the extra box … I don’t need the recorder in the new setup, and have moved it to the bedroom TV where it will be more use ... just one cable to connect-up :thumbsup:

So, can anyone please see what I assume I am overlooking through being too close by now? Probably something embarassingly obvious I expect but I really can’t see any further … can you?

2 short other-questions …

1 - when playing a Sky+ recording the screen flashes black 2-3 times for about a second … happens at random intervals, sometimes quite frequent, other times hardly at all - the sound is not interrupted at all, only the picture … what could be the reason? Shouldn’t happen just from swapping a TV for a new one?! Sky’s hard-drive not coping, needing to catch-up? Memory is 31% free so presumably there’s enough wiggle-room?

2 - in fast-cut programmes like NYPD Blue and the CSIs, lines of high-contrast (face-to-hair, bold stripes, etc) momentarily flare red at the initial instant of the "snatch"-movement they film them in … can the red or the effect’s cause be minimised? It isn’t generally intrusive, but does annoy a little with that high-energy type filming …

I will be able to check for helpful replies the rest of today (Sat) but not tomorrow so please excuse me if I don’t reply to anything straight away then .. back to normal on Monday though

I really would like to get things set before Christmas, which is really why I bought the Samsung now … and as I was very much guided in that choice by all the advice and comments on this Forum I would be very grateful if anyone can help with my setting-up problems too … thanks.

Shel x

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom